Help on pickup decision

quito195

alright I'm trying to decide on pickups for my guitar I'm building its half mahogany and half maple...and I need pickups that will do anything from cleans to like...meshuggah no brand preference both need to be hummers if anyone can give me a good reason theres room for a middle single coil too lol.

I prefer Duncans myself because they span multi-genres. A basic combo for 2 humbuckers is a JB (:D and Jazz (n). Any of them would be good. Plus having a five wire pickup allows you to add coil tapping and phase switching. If you go H/S/H you can have a multitude of sounds. Plus the Duncan Designed are Korean built and sound the same, so you don't have to spend $70 each pickup...only like $30.

Dimarzio aren't bad either, but I don't have any experience with them.

well im lovin my vintage vibe pups! there humbucker sized soapbars! they have a great bluesy meets rock sound! im having him build me two sets of humbuckers as we speak! i'll give a full report when thier in!

also his pups are a great price,like 100$ a set and he will do whatever type of winding you want! he also has a lifetime waranty and money back garrantee or he will rewind to fit your needs in what you want! im tellin ya this guy is really cool and a great guy to do buisiness with!

www.vintagevibeguitars.com

(in no way am i a payed advertiser,or pimp, i just love his work and want others to know about it!)

the fred is pretty good. i have it in a strat style guitar, very versitale.

alright I'm trying to decide on pickups for my guitar I'm building its half mahogany and half maple...and I need pickups that will do anything from cleans to like...meshuggah no brand preference both need to be hummers if anyone can give me a good reason theres room for a middle single coil too lol.

If you want versatility, and good clean tones, I'd definitely look in the PAF and hot PAF territory. There are lots of good choices out there. It's tough to go wrong with the SD '59s for the price.

I suppose an active PU like the EMG would cover a lot of ground, gain wise, but they are so cold and hi-fi sounding to me - it's a personal taste thing I guess. Do you prefer vintage or modern type sounds?

Sven

I Love a Duncan 59N and the duncan "Hybrid" that a bunch of us are using...It's a 59B bobbin mated with a Custom slug bobbin...

The Dimarzio Fred is a nice bridge PAF style pickup with unbalanced coils,nice tight tone,a bit more mids,bright and cutting tone...I have a Fred in the bridge of my SG with a nickel cover and one side all screws replacing the allen screws...Absolutely love it...A 59 in the bridge is very hard to beat,very versatile also,and let's not forget the Pearly Gates..This is like a 59 but is more aggressive and crunchy in the mids with great harmonics...A bit less lows and also brighter than the 59...I've tryed most of the Duncan humbuckers..

• 4 weeks later...

The Shadow SH EQ5 has to be the best pickup out right now. It has a built in active EQ with 7 mini trim pots in place of the pole adjustments that you can use to change the sound of the pickup to suit your needs. I got one recently, and plan to get a few more of them. You can make this pickup sound like any pickup on the market. They even provide you with a few samples. Take a look:

http://www.shadow-pickups.com/images/EQ5%20Settings.jpg

There is a picture of it on the Shadow Website (www.shadow-pickups.com) as well as this description:

Electric Guitar Humbucker with Built-In 5-Band Equalizer and active preamp!

7 trim pots on the top of the pickup adjust the input level, master gain and 5-band e.q. Active e.q. circuit can be switched on or off and can be used to e.q. other passive pickups in the guitar. Humbucker is fully shielded and has coil tap wire for single coil option. This pickup is a true cameleon! It can emulate the sound of hundreds of different pickups with a little tweaking!

Standard humbucker size. Meticulous German engineering and craftsmanship. Requires 9 V power and standard guitar electronics ? Not included. Wiring diagram is avaialble on the Shadow website.

Plus the Duncan Designed are Korean built and sound the same, so you don't have to spend $70 each pickup...only like $30.

yeah im going to korea this summer to buy buy buy for guitar parts!!!! im going there this summer, and yes i am korean. maybe i'll buy a couple guitars too