I Invite Suggested Uses For A Dead Wah Pedal!

djhollowman

I recently found an old wah pedal I had forgotten I had. It does work, but it's very noisy during use, so I'm wondering what else I could do with it. (I have a couple of better wahs now anyway.) Could I convert it into a volume pedal? If so, how would I go about doing that? That's just one idea, but I'd welcome any thoughts, even crazy ideas!

Thanks,

DJ

Thanks!

Hmm, interesting! Gotta ba honest, I'd never heard of this pedal before, so I Googled it and one of the first search results was a link to an article by yourself! Small world.

DJ

The Tycho pedal might be fun, but I'd vote for a volume pedal as well. Pedal swells sound much more natural to me than volume knob swells, and not having to use your hand to do it is a plus too.

I agree, volume swells are great - I use them a lot myself. But, I never felt like the CryBaby wah pedal shell had enough travel for my taste.

Thanks!

Hmm, interesting! Gotta ba honest, I'd never heard of this pedal before, so I Googled it and one of the first search results was a link to an article by yourself! Small world.

DJ

I don't know of any soundclips off the top of my head, but it's one very unique sounding wah pedal. Tommy Iommi uses one, too. There's some reviews of it at www.harmonycentral.com. Chicago Iron is making replicas of them now, maybe they have a sound clip of it at their website? http://www.chicagoiron.com

Edited by Paul Marossy

I find a volume pedal to be of use, mark knophler uses one to get those dynamics for instance. I have an old boss hall effect though and I agree that more travel is desirable.

You may wish to devise something "different". For instance, what about a pan pedal between two channels. You could run it into two amps or two different inputs perhaps so you could pan between a clean and dirty channel or have both in the middle instead of a simple switch.

The same thing could be used on a pedal board or with effects to select between one channel with one selection of effects, and another with a different selection.

If you really wanted to go "off the wall" you could team it up with another effect so that the wah controls a pot on it. So, you could have a phaser or tremolo speed controller, or really wacky, a delay feedback control.

Just a few 'creative' thoughts...the cry baby shell though is pretty limited in it's travel, good for what it originally did, not so much for other things. You could modify the throw perhaps to increase it, a little off the back of the pedal and/or a leaver system such as you find on the old colorsound pedals...

pete

If you really wanted to go "off the wall" you could team it up with another effect so that the wah controls a pot on it. So, you could have a phaser or tremolo speed controller, or really wacky, a delay feedback control.

I also thought of a phaser, too. The tremolo speed controller is a good idea as well. :D

lol, I just googled for some pictures of a theremin and found a photo of a woman playing one with her breasts!

DJ

Excellent! You are indeed correct. The ingenuity of Googling, eh?

Ok, so who else google'd it? (I know I did. :D)

The funniest thing was the guy walking in the background, like nothing was going on.

CMA

lol, I just googled for some pictures of a theremin and found a photo of a woman playing one with her breasts!

DJ

Excellent! You are indeed correct. The ingenuity of Googling, eh?

Ok, so who else google'd it? (I know I did. :D)

The funniest thing was the guy walking in the background, like nothing was going on.

CMA

c'mon...I googled but failed to find it! give us the link!

yoy-yoy pedal

Yeah, I was being flippant, I think these are a kind of reverse wah or something...I had a EH "talking Wah" that used something like this, not that successful.

An interesting use would be to adapt a flex drive cable to the pedal some way so you could take off the knob of any effect of even an amp control and attach it, that way it could be used on an amps reverb or a delay time or feedback, or to a phaser or trem speed or whatever you wanted...that would be cool and no circuitry involved. I suspect you may still want to work out a way of giving it a bit more throw, maybe even a spring return option too.

The guy in the "Mermen" uses three cables out of his guitar, three amps (one for each pickup) and three effects chains and a some volume pedals to mix them I think. So many potentials in this little box...which one to choose...

or...remove the pedal and bolt it to the accelerator of your car...wwwwwhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa :D

pete

• 3 months later...