Picking New Humbuckers

vcool

Hello PJ, first post here so do be nice and not so overly technical. :D

I finished school in May (freedom for the next 2.5 months before entering Uni of Toronto to study physics ^^) and so my parents said they could potentially get me a new guitar. So far I had a Ibanez GRG170DX. At first I welcomed the idea, since an alpine white Fender Standard Stratocaster was pretty much my dream guitar. On a second thought, however, I thought I'd rather not have my parents spend 1300 euros on a new guitar, so instead I decided to upgrade my existing guitar with own money. Fist thing I want to do is a paint job, which is not done yet. Second thing I wanted to do is to change the humbuckers. (In the long run a Strat would be better I guess, but c'mon - a custom guitar is custom, and the customeness, especially if done by yourself, outweighs everything :D)

I've did some research and stopped on a SH6 Duncan Distortion for the bridge humbucker and a DiMarzio Evolution Neck DP158 for the neck pickup.

Thus my first question: is it perfectly normal to mix together humbuckers of different companies? I googled that and apparently the answer is yes. But I'd thought I would ask it in person, and besides maybe someone has exactly that set up ^^.

SOLVED thanks to reantel:The second question is the following. I don't know if any of you have experience with GRGs, but they have a 5-way-switch, one Volume, and one Tone control knob. The uppermost position activated the neck humbucker, one below activates the coil closer to the bridge of the neck 'bucker and the middle pickup, middle position activated only the middle pickup, and vice versa for the last two positions. I scanned in a diagram from the manual:

switch.jpg

Is there a diagram somewhere that shows how to connect all the 'buckers and pickups properly? (sounds like some "is there a tutorial to make life better" question, but you never know ^^)

A question that appeared to me just now - is it better to have a 500k on the volume, or a 250k?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by vcool

Hello PJ, first post here so do be nice and not so overly technical. :D

I finished school in May (freedom for the next 2.5 months before entering Uni of Toronto to study physics ^^) and so my parents said they could potentially get me a new guitar. So far I had a Ibanez GRG170DX. At first I welcomed the idea, since an alpine white Fender Standard Stratocaster was pretty much my dream guitar. On a second thought, however, I thought I'd rather not have my parents spend 1300 euros on a new guitar, so instead I decided to upgrade my existing guitar with own money. Fist thing I want to do is a paint job, which is not done yet. Second thing I wanted to do is to change the humbuckers. (In the long run a Strat would be better I guess, but c'mon - a custom guitar is custom, and the customeness, especially if done by yourself, outweighs everything :D)

I've did some research and stopped on a SH6 Duncan Distortion for the bridge humbucker and a DiMarzio Evolution Neck DP158 for the neck pickup.

Thus my first question: is it perfectly normal to mix together humbuckers of different companies? I googled that and apparently the answer is yes. But I'd thought I would ask it in person, and besides maybe someone has exactly that set up ^^.

The second question is the following. I don't know if any of you have experience with GRGs, but they have a 5-way-switch, one Volume, and one Tone control knob. The uppermost position activated the neck humbucker, one below activates the coil closer to the bridge of the neck 'bucker and the middle pickup, middle position activated only the middle pickup, and vice versa for the last two positions. I scanned in a diagram from the manual:

switch.jpg

Is there a diagram somewhere that shows how to connect all the 'buckers and pickups properly? (sounds like some "is there a tutorial to make life better" question, but you never know ^^)

Thanks in advance.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wirin...1vol_1tone_5way

This has

2 humbuckers

1 volume

1 tone

5 way switch (coil splitting the humbuckers)

but middle position is both humbuckers. Do you have a HSH pickup layout?

Thanks for the link mate! :D I think I DO have a HSH layout - at least that is what I understand in the manual. I followed your link and found this:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wirin...ic=HSH_1v_1t_5w

Which I think is exactly what I need. Do DiMarzio's use the same colours as Duncans?

vcool,

No they don't see this link: http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm

Hugo Pine