35" Scale Length Bass - Truss Rod Size/placement?

Been asked to build a 5 string bass for my brother. Looking at a 35" scale length. I'm sure this question has been answered here before (in fact, I quite remember seeing it mentioned here before, but can't find it with the search) What are you folks who build these length basses using for truss rods? I usually use the double-action rods from LMI, and I'm not sure if I can get by with the 22 3/4" length, (before 1" for the nut) or should see about getting a custom length.

If I start the rod (not the adjusting nut on the rod) immediatly under the end of the fretboard, it ends just about where my body join is, so I assume I'm good - or am I mistaken?

But - I was planning on putting the adjustment under the body.

Putting the nut end of the rod there looks like a problem, as I'd either have to bury the adjustment nut under three inches of fretboard (if I go with the full 24 frets I was planning) which is a pain in the rear if you have to make an adjustment (although it's still doable) or have the rod end a couple inches short of nut at the headstock end. I assume having the rod end 2.5 inches short like that is probably not the best idea?

Or is it okay in reality?

• 12 years later...
      I  am  interested  in  similar about truss and reinforcement  rods  in longer  than35 scale   neck thru ,, can  truss rod  be  longer   /nut to  inch  longer than  fretboard  in neck thru, and  it   seem  a  ok   idea  to put   reinforcement titanium rods from nut   all in to  body ,,  WHAT   DO YOU who did lots  of  basses think pls   ,,the  longest   640 mm  rod  is   25,19 inch  so i guess  here  you  got   rods  for  you ,, please ANY  PROFESSIONAL BUILDER    help me with  my question  MY  MAIL  /             michomicho223@gmail.com   //  i got  skyp or   zoom  too if  you can  spare   a  few  minutes to  explain thank you  all /bass player  left hand/slovenija
400mm £12.95 (6 left in stock)
420mm £12.95 (2 left in stock)
440mm £12.95 (0 left in stock)
460 £12.95 (0 left in stock)
480mm £12.95 (11 left in stock)
500mm £12.95 (18 left in stock)
530mm £12.95 (7 left in stock)
600mm £13.95 (14 left in stock)
620mm £14.95 (38 left in stock)
640mm £14.95 (18 left in stock)
Double Action Truss Rod 360 mm, 400 mm, 420 mm, 440 mm, 460 mm, 480mm, 500mm, 600mm,620mm or 640 mm quantity
Add to basket