Easy Routing Table

Just wanted to share with you all the routing table I made....

I have a router and noticed that routing smaller stuff was difficult because there is not enough wood for your router to rest on.. So I wanted a routing table, but I wanted to make one quickly and one that would be easy and quick top set up..

So I came up with a solution of using my work vise as the table. I used a 2,3 cm (approx 1 inch) thick MDF board as the routing tabletop. In this board (which is way to thick to put your router under..) I cut out a piece large enough to fit my router through. Then I routed a 8 mm deep rectangle around the hole and cut a piece of 8 mm MDF to the same dimensions.... To that piece I can Attach my router with 3 bolts...

I'm pleased with the result and it works great...

P6120195.jpg

P6120196.jpg

P6120197.jpg

Grz Arjan

MDF for the table piece should work just fine and dandy, particularly at that thickness, but 8mm MDF to hold a router? As the plate? For long-term use? I'm very skeptical. I'd use plywood at the very least, preferably phenolic (Trespa) or aluminum if you want to buy one. I just got one of the MCLS plates, installed the router in my 2"-MDF-plus-1"-melamine top, reinforcing the melamine a little with superglue post-routing. Rock solid.

MDF for the table piece should work just fine and dandy, particularly at that thickness, but 8mm MDF to hold a router? As the plate? For long-term use? I'm very skeptical. I'd use plywood at the very least, preferably phenolic (Trespa) or aluminum if you want to buy one. I just got one of the MCLS plates, installed the router in my 2"-MDF-plus-1"-melamine top, reinforcing the melamine a little with superglue post-routing. Rock solid.

Mattia, you could be right there.... I could always change the middle piece for plywood or trespa if the MDF starts to flex.. I just used what I had lying around... and it's not like the router is hanging on the MDF board all the time... I just set is up when I need it and when I'm done I detach the router and store the MDF boards away.... so for now it works just fine for me...

Grz Arjan