how does wood become flamed?

Quilted and Blistered

This has the effect of scales sometimes up to 3 inches around which connect to each other. Often only a small area of the veneer will be quilted while others will have the entire surface. Like many other figures there is no definite conclusion as to their formation however they are highly prized and can multiply the value of the conventional figure by many times. Among the most common species to exhibit this figure are maple and mahogany which is called 'pomelle' when quilting occurs.

Flame, Crotch or Branch wood

As the name implies this figure is revealed by slicing through the face of the branch, the figure when cut is referred to as flame (i.e.: flame mahogany or flame walnut).

Burls (Burrs)

Burls are those growths usually seen on the sides of a tree trunk which they are for want of a better comparison a tree tumour. The grain although exhibiting the basic characteristics of the tree has been scrambled into a blistered bird's-eye figure. This burl figure will also vary in colour being several shades darker than the uninfected part of the tree. Burls are usually flat sliced or sawn and depending on the species can be as large as 4 feet by 8 feet.

Stump wood or Butts

After the main veneer bearing lumber has been removed, the tree stump is pulled, trimmed and squared. The squared block is then flat sliced. The veneer figure displayed is a wild mixture of heart and sapwood, second only to a burl.

Bird's-eye

The most common veneer where this figure is present is sugar maple. It is caused by an infection which affects the current growth ring and can be likened to a skin disorder. A mature tree may be infected early or late in its life and as such the figure is best revealed by roll cutting the log until the figure disappears.

A guitar out of stump wood would look grooooooooooovy!!

no idea. might have to do with the way the tree developed. im sure theres a ton of **** involving stuff on the molecular level. really complicated **** that my puny bio freshman mind can't wrap my mind around. we're learning the krebs cycle. fuc*ing joy.

word to the krebs cycle. i was there a month or two ago. i didn't understand it at all. do you? ATP and all that c***? luckuly for me, it wasn't on the midterm. Phew.

holy crap. krebs cycle is SO outrageous. its INSANE. we have to know ALL about cell respiration glycolysis through the ETC. (electron transport chain) and how if its anaerobic conditions you need to put fermentation into play just to keep the cycle going. and with the NADH to NAD+ BAH! I HATE IT!

eewww...

I heard flame and quilt figuring are produced when the tree's weight compresses the wood and forms the curls or quilts, like the grain basically collaspes on itself. Quilted figuring is best viewed on a flat sawn surface, and will actually look somewhat flamed when quarted, and vise-versa with flamed figuring. I don't know if the two figurings are interchangeable in the way you saw them, because I've heard quilted maple only appears in the first few inches of a tree, but you can get pieces wide enough for acoustic guitars because you cut it flat sawn. Flaming and quilting a very commen in Soft and Bigleaf Maple, not so it Rock Maple. Rock Maple is more often seen with the birds-eye figuring, which, like posted earlier, I believe is a disease that causes the "eye's", because I believe the eyes are where new branches were supposed to grow, but they don't get past just a little knot. Burls are obviously from some sort of a disease, like where a branch was supposed to grow, but something went wrong, and new knots and buds just keep forming on top of each other. Crotch figuring is pretty obvious by the name, you just open up the portion of the tree where the stump bisects into two new stumps.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars
I heard flame and quilt figuring are produced when the tree's weight compresses the wood and forms the curls or quilts, like the grain basically collaspes on itself. Quilted figuring is best viewed on a flat sawn surface, and will actually look somewhat flamed when quarted, and vise-versa with flamed figuring. I don't know if the two figurings are interchangeable in the way you saw them, because I've heard quilted maple only appears in the first few inches of a tree, but you can get pieces wide enough for acoustic guitars because you cut it flat sawn. Flaming and quilting a very commen in Soft and Bigleaf Maple, not so it Rock Maple. Rock Maple is more often seen with the birds-eye figuring, which, like posted earlier, I believe is a disease that causes the "eye's", because I believe the eyes are where new branches were supposed to grow, but they don't get past just a little knot. Burls are obviously from some sort of a disease, like where a branch was supposed to grow, but something went wrong, and new knots and buds just keep forming on top of each other. Crotch figuring is pretty obvious by the name, you just open up the portion of the tree where the stump bisects into two new stumps.

That's exactly right. As for why figuring is more expensive, looks isnt the only factor. Only the bottome max of 5 or 6 feet will have figure.

What he said :D

I'm really shocked that all the saavy folks on this board don't know that the flames regularly occur after the maple tree makes derogatory comment regarding the geneology of burl walnut on the treespecies.org discussion board. Never slight a walnut, especially black walnut. They never forgive nor forget..............

I think I need more coffee, mu :D ch more

Guest AlexVDL

The story I heard about flame and quilt in woods is that trees grow towards the sun. Because of the different seasons this means the tree is turning the whole time. The roots of the tree are tight in the ground, so the lower part of the tree doesn't move. The turning of the tree causes the wood in lower part to stretch and compress. This is visible by the flames and quilts perpendicular to the grain. This occurs only in the lower part of the tree like Lex Luthier said.

:D