Headstock Shape

I've been thinking a little about headstock shape, and tonight, after playing around a little, I came up with this:

DPMHeadstock1.jpg

Not groundbreaking, I know. It's a lot like a Gibson headstock, but it looks so familiar that I wonder if it's exactly like something else I've seen. Has anybody seen this shape before? If not, how close do you think I came to ripping off Gibson's design?

Thanks,

Dave

Edited by dpm99

Yeah, it's not too far off from Taylor's. It's not Martin, Guild, Washburn, Takamine, Ovation, Gretsch, or Alvarez. I found a Yamaha headstock that looked sort of similar, but their acoustic headstocks are so inconsistent. I don't know. The headstock isn't all that important to me on this. I just want it to look like a traditional angled headstock, and not violate anybody's copyright or anything. I know I'm not gonna get sued, but it's still important to me.

Edited by dpm99

My first thought was Taylor. Pretty close.

Yep. If you look at traditional 3X3 headstocks, they're all pretty close. The biggest variation is in what they do with the top part. If you exclude the top, Gibson, Taylor, Guild, old Epiphones, and number of others are pretty much the same. I'm sure somebody's done this before. It's too obvious to turn the middle inch of the top into a straight line. But I think it'll do. Thanks for the help.

I've been thinking a little about headstock shape, and tonight, after playing around a little, I came up with this:

>snip<

Not groundbreaking, I know. It's a lot like a Gibson headstock, but it looks so familiar that I wonder if it's exactly like something else I've seen. Has anybody seen this shape before? If not, how close do you think I came to ripping off Gibson's design?

Thanks,

Dave

Other than being squared off at the top it looks a lot like the one I use. I don't see a problem with infringement for you with anyone? I think it is a classic style IMO !

tele3.jpg

Mike

Edited by MiKro

Other than being squared off at the top it looks a lot like the one I use. I don't see a problem with infringement for you with anyone? I think it is a classic style IMO !

I agree. At first mine looked like yours. Then I flattened out the top. Yours is kind of similar (but not identical) to this:

headstock.jpg

I think the general idea is that it's just a classic headstock shape. Everybody brings their own flare to it though.

-Dave

EDIT: Incidentally, nice guitar!

Edited by dpm99

Heh, good points. We've had a few hundred years to think up innovations to the 3x3 design, and we're pretty much still right where we started :D

I'm a big fan of the ESP LP-style headstock. It's juuust a tad on the edgy side, but not too out there.

And I think the Carvin takes the cake for similarity, Rick.

Yep, Rick wins. But the bottom curves on mine are different. So I'm still a little original.

We've had a few hundred years to think up innovations to the 3x3 design, and we're pretty much still right where we started :D

Exactly. Well said, Xanthus.

As has already been stated, its a nice traditional/classical style that should suit your project very well. And even though it may be similar to many as the case with nearly every 3x3, its always a nice feeling to have drawn it up yourself. Rock it proud. J