Two Wiring Questions

tomrulez

I posted this on another forum I go to but recieved no reply so I guess this would be the best place to get some answers.

Anyone got any ideas how to wire a kill switch on/off/on with a 3 pole 6 lug DPDT switch? A diagram would be brilliant but an explanation would also be greatly appreciated.

On a side note: Does anyone know how to wire a strat so that with the flick of a switch (dptp preferably) I can get a combination of all three pickups on in series. I'm thinking this will produce a very hot sound (correct me if I'm wrong people).

Edited by tomrulez

Anyone got any ideas how to wire a kill switch on/off/on with a 3 pole 6 lug DPDT switch? A diagram would be brilliant but an explanation would also be greatly appreciated.

What are you trying to do? A kill switch just turns off the guitar. I would use a SPDT between the last pot and the jack, on the hot line. In one position, wire it so the guitar is on. Ground the other lug so that when you turn it off, the amp doesn't hum/buzz. A SPST (simple on/off) would also work, but wouldn't allow you to ground the amp's input when the guitar is off.

But it sounds like you want something more complicated than that.

On a side note: Does anyone know how to wire a strat so that with the flick of a switch (dptp preferably) I can get a combination of all three pickups on in series. I'm thinking this will produce a very hot sound (correct me if I'm wrong people).

I imagine all three would sound muddy. Maybe just the bridge and middle together. That would be a lot easier to wire too, and I'm sure a DPDT would work... just run a few extra leads from the pickup to it and back to wherever you want to send the signal next.

Edited by Geo

I recently rewired my strat so that it gets 13 different combinations, including all three coils in series. That sound is in no way dull! In fact it's one of my new favorite sounds. This scheme gives 9 different combinations that use all three coils, if I count right. I'll post some links to diagrams in a sec, but before I do I should add that my mod involved moving the middle pickup down next to the bridge so that the two together form a 'slant humbucker', or as I have apparently coined a new word (google only comes up with my posts so far, yup you heard it here first), Slantbucker.

My wiring mod could easily be adapted without moving the middle pickup, but the problem with it is the 5 way switch is reconfigured to consider the guitar as having two pickups (one single, one slantbucker). A second DPDT on/on/on switch chooses between series, parallel and single coil on the slantbucker. The 5 way selects; Neck, Neck and Slantbucker in parallel, Neck and Slantbucker in series, Neck and Slantbucker in series out of phase, and Slantbucker alone. Like I said, you could easily wire this scheme up without moving the middle pickup, and I'm sure the sounds would be exellent. Only thing is, the switching might be confusing particularly to someone who doesn't normally play that axe. The upside of this scheme is that there are no 'dead spots' like you often get with complicated strat schemes that have a bunch of DPDT mini-toggles on your pickguard.

Here's the link to the 5 position shooperswitch diagram

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/triffic/index.php

This one wires the DPDT on/on/on

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/sw3.php