My Plywood Build

I want a guitar made from the wood of christ's cross, like squisgar squigelf! :D

Really? I just happen to have some I was saving for a project, but I'm not in love with the figure. Since you seem like a good guy, I'll sell it to you for WAY less than I paid. How does $1200/bf sound? I'll even include free shipping! :D

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hence, the "almost" portion of your statement. LOL

I want a bass made from a coral reef. That should really piss off the Greenpeace guys!

Yes, I'm evil.

If you're gonna go that route (enraging Greenpeace), cover the thing with baby seal pelts, use genuine ivory for the nut & tuner buttons, and mount the wood over a smokestack of a rubber-burning plant and let the heat dry it.

Denis Leary would love it... matches his 1970 Cadillac El Dorado Convertible and styrofoam Big Mac containers!

Ok - update time. Guitar is assembled and playable - here are a few pics validating that it is indeed plywood (in case prior pix weren't clear enough). Used an existing maple/rosewood neck and hardware. I'm trying to get some sound bites because it sounds AWESOME! Very punchy, very clear - depending on how you set the switch - it can go from balls to the wall to smooth and clean. Only had one string here and wanted to get pix done... so... anyway. Will update with mp3 as soon as possible.

aplybody3.jpg

aplybody4.jpg

aplybody5.jpg

I will not let this thread die! :D

Here is a recording of the bass (tuned to D). My sound card sucks worse than my photography skills so there is buzz. Guitar does not buzz through amp. I will be playing this bass in 2 shows next week here in Northern Virginia. Also, tried to get a couple of close ups.

aplybodyf1.jpg

aplybodyf2.jpg

I am quite motivated by this experiment and have started on another project using strips of 4/4 as sort of a "plywood" build. This will be entirely from scratch as I found some curly maple flooring (5/4 x 6") to make the neck.

Thank you for the compliments - and don't worry - the second project is more about me being creative with shaping and learning more about curves. The "strip wood" guitar will be my first build of a non-standard template, meaning it's just a simple freehand design. Pic below. Again, thanks for compliments, I was quite surprised by how clear it sounded - and it's not yet shielded. Just waiting on zyonsdream now - maybe we'll trade tracks and see what a plywood rhythm section would sound like :D

stripbass1.jpg

Probably the most intriguing sound clips since the A/B comparison of the Floyd and headless trem a while back.

Now you should take a GOOD recording (:D) of the bass and mail it to manufacturers like Alembic who use absurdly exotic and prohibitively expensive woods. I mean it. And thanks for championing guys like me who buy their mahogany down at the corner store.

Probably the most intriguing sound clips since the A/B comparison of the Floyd and headless trem a while back.

Now you should take a GOOD recording (:D) of the bass and mail it to manufacturers like Alembic who use absurdly exotic and prohibitively expensive woods. I mean it. And thanks for championing guys like me who buy their mahogany down at the corner store.

:D Alembic mainly uses very common woods, and actually are pretty open to lesser known woods. They use some unique tops, but I wouldn't call them absurdly exotic, the few select instruments with typically more expensive tops are still relatively middle of the road expensive. Now if they were using Pink Ivory, Blackwood, Snakewood, Brazilian Rosewood, Pernambuco and such for body and neck wood on a regular basis. I would agree with what you are saying.

A solid body requires about 4 to 5 bd. ft. of wood(neck and body). I have never viewed wood as the most significant cost in a solid body, that would be electronics and hardware. If you look at basic pricing for hardwoods(at different cost ranges) it doesn't seem like the biggest concern relative to the total build cost.

$1.50 bd. ft.- $7.50= Low grade Plywood or the cheapest low grade wood you can get your hands on.

$5.00 bd. ft.- $25.00= Alder, Cherry, Plain Maple, Ash, Khaya, Sapele, purple heart and so forth (many of the most common woods used)

$10.00 bd. ft.-$50.00= Genuine Mahogany, fair figured Maples, Walnut, Limba, Bubinga, Myrtle, and many other "exotic" woods.

$25.00 bd. ft.-$125.00= Cocobolo, East Indian RW, High figure Maples, Figured Walnuts, Figured Myrtle, Honduran RW, and so forth (really this buys you into a wide range of figured and extra exotic woods).

You can pay $50-75 per. bd. ft. for some of the extreamly rare Rosewoods, Koa and ultra high grade figured woods. These are VERY rarely used for a complete solid body.

You can pay $100-$500+ per. bd. ft. for the most expensive, rare woods around (Some of the woods I mentioned above), but availability and practicality of these woods makes them almost silly to consider as the primary wood for an entire solid body guitar.

You can drop $125 on a set of pickups pretty easily(no fancy boutique stuff here), not to mention any other hardware or accesories. This is why I see wood as the cheap part of a build, and considering the importance in terms of stability and longevity of an instrument, I can't see trying to cut cheap out in this area(buy smart sure, but not compramise).

Rich

Mmm, most definitely Rich. I hear what you're saying, especially when comparing the cost of wood to the rest of the build. I was mainly thumbing my nose at the "expensive/exotic wood is a tonal improvement" crowd :D

If these plywood builds go as expected, the experiment should blow up their arguments anyway. Remember the chipboard guitars someone here made last winter as a tonal experiment? IIRC, about 50% of the listeners couldn't tell the difference.

Mmm, most definitely Rich. I hear what you're saying, especially when comparing the cost of wood to the rest of the build. I was mainly thumbing my nose at the "expensive/exotic wood is a tonal improvement" crowd :D

I hear what your saying, and feel the same way when I see high priced woods equates to better something(actually, I think in many cases you can get a better quality cut of a less expensive wood, because it is not as rare or milled with value as such a critical point). I also feel similarly when there is a total disregard in the selection. Material selection has always been a large part of instrument building, and for very good reasons(much as with most fine wood working). If a person doesn't care about their projects enough to learn about the materials they work with, that is there thang (they can deal with whatever happens). "Tonal improvement" is very subjective, and often people lose site of the whole when they focus on small points. In the end I think it all comes down to our personal preferences, and I think it is good to do what suits you and the hell with the rest. Since most of us don't have to build these for paying customers, we really shouldn't be driven by what floats others boats, and we experiment or take risks(hopefully with a good understanding of those risks) at the expense of only our personal instruments. So we should do as we please :D

Rich

Hemp guitar??? Perhaps if I weren't using so much of it 20 years ago I might have thought to do that with the leftovers :D

The plywood bass I built was also extremely inexpensive -

Birch top furniture ply - $27 (For a whole 4X8 sheet, bought who knows when)

Paddle-top neck/neck plate - $30

pots, switch, jack - $5

bridge - $12

knobs - $4

pickups - $28

strings - $20

tuners - $25

TOTAL - $151

I don't look at exotic woods for their tonal characteristics, more for their structural superiority. I'm sick of rosewood for fretboards because of how filthy they get from players' hands. I want nice exotic woods with tighter grain for fretboards. Yeah, wenge is considered an exotic wood, but it sucks when it gets filthy and the open grain packed with dirt and oil.

I'd LOVE to build a legit bass out of pine just for that open porous deep tone. Then give it some grain hardener to make it a little more dent resistant. But I'd make the neck with a maple or walnut skunk stripe for structural integrity cuz I know pine wouldn't stay straight and untwisted after tension is applied.