Acoustic Build Supplies

Hey

im buying up supplies for an acoustic build i plan to start in about a month when i return from holidays and i was just wondering if a

more experienced acoustic builider could give my list a quick glance to see if tehre is anything ive missed out.

• Soundboard
  • Back/Side set
  • Bracing
  • Kerfed lining
  • Tailblock
  • Neckblock
  • Bridge blank
  • Neck Blank
  • Fingerboard
  • reinforcing plate for bridge
  • Others- frets,strings,plans, book

on the note of the book i plan on getting the Build Your Own Acoustic Guitar by Knikaid. Ive heard mixed revioews and i was wondering if anyone recoomends a different book

thanks for all your help.

Hey

im buying up supplies for an acoustic build i plan to start in about a month when i return from holidays and i was just wondering if a

more experienced acoustic builider could give my list a quick glance to see if tehre is anything ive missed out.

• Soundboard
  • Back/Side set
  • Bracing
  • Kerfed lining
  • Tailblock
  • Neckblock
  • Bridge blank
  • Neck Blank
  • Fingerboard
  • reinforcing plate for bridge
  • Others- frets,strings,plans, book

on the note of the book i plan on getting the Build Your Own Acoustic Guitar by Knikaid. Ive heard mixed revioews and i was wondering if anyone recoomends a different book

thanks for all your help.

Nut, headstock veneer, bridge pins, binding, if your doing a bolt on-inserts/bolts/washers, strap pins, finishing materials. Sounds like you have a pretty good list.

You should do some browsing around the MIMF and OLF for jigs, and tools. One thing that seems to hold pretty true of most books, the methods and jigs used are usually a little outdated(meaning even the author currently has taken to using different methods and jigs). You will do best if you take the time to make good jigs and molds. Things like side form bending with heat blankets, binding jigs, molds, radiused sanding dishes, go bar decks, rosette routing jig and so forth will go a long way to making your build both more accurate and enjoyable. It takes a bit of effort and time up front, but it is well worth it. Also get a handle on humidity control before you start working, even if your shop is relatively stable it is good to understand what is happening during critical point in your build. I am not sure how you are set up for tools, but sharpening and tuning up your bladed tools is really important in acoustic building, it is worth spending the time to tune up and really sharpen things up.

Rich

Notes: Looks pretty complete to me. If you're using rosewood back/sides there's no need for a bridge plate patch, offcuts will be enough.

Don't forget nut and saddle (I recommend bone), and I second Rich's suggestion: check out the jigging side of things. I would strongly reccomend a heat blanket (get it from the US, the dollar is still very weak. LMI, or Blues Creek Guitars and a stepdown converter). Other than that, two sheets of 22mm MDF will make a pair of radius dishes (highly recommended) and a fox-style bender+building form (also highly recommended for a nice, symmetrical, reliable result. Doesn't even take that much time - I honestly think you recoup any hours spent building the right jigs with the first guitar you build using them.

I recommend Sylvan Well's (google Wells Guitars) Rosette jig and The Willams/Fleishmann (google dew guitars binding jig) if you want the creme de la creme tools.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Michael, you could check this out UK Guitar forum

Simo who runs the forum also sells various guitar parts, mainly electric but I have got some usefull things off him for my Acoustic. Also being a UK forum many of the guys are based here and if you run into problems sourcing materials they may be able to help out by pointing in the right direction locally.

Many (if not all ) frequent here regularly as well.

kinkaid's book is decent but do yourself a favor and make sure if you use it... you use it loosely and not verbatim. What i would reccomend is if your about to start a chapter or a section.. read the entire chapter before continuing because a few times while going through the book... he leaves out a couple of important things that he later brings up and talks about them as if he mentioned them before.. There are also a few dimension issues mainly going from the book to the plans, so just double and triple check everything.. It is a good reference however and the pictures are nice large color photos. If you start using that book and are confused or have questions, PM me because i probibly had the same issues and resolved them

What Pariah said. Read the entire book through at least once, take notes, and if you think the order of steps desn't make sense, feel free to deviate (as long as you think everything through). I used Cumpiano as a rough guide for my first, but built using dishes, a bender, forms,a butt-jointed bolt on neck and reverse kerfed linings, among other things. Most of the additional info was gleaned from the MIMF.

Ive noticed with most of the good books out... i own both cumpiano and kinkaid's book... alot of the processes are kind of dated and people have found more efficient ways of doing things.. These forums and the internet cover much more than any of the said books... and you get a more realistic insight because you see how people struggle and how there processes evolve unlike in a book where the writer isnt making mistakes or modifications, he just shows how it is done and for the most part, doesn't acknowledge common pitfalls... MIMF (register to get to the library.. it took me a year to realize that) is an excellent resource. If you Google acoustic guitar building, you will find a bunch of people's projects from start to finish.

Ive noticed with most of the good books out... i own both cumpiano and kinkaid's book... alot of the processes are kind of dated and people have found more efficient ways of doing things.. These forums and the internet cover much more than any of the said books... and you get a more realistic insight because you see how people struggle and how there processes evolve unlike in a book where the writer isnt making mistakes or modifications, he just shows how it is done and for the most part, doesn't acknowledge common pitfalls... MIMF (register to get to the library.. it took me a year to realize that) is an excellent resource. If you Google acoustic guitar building, you will find a bunch of people's projects from start to finish.

You never listed the tools you have either, or how you are going to thickness the tops, etcetc. Kinkead and Cumpliano books don't mention radius dishes. Tools are the other half of building. And its like a mile long, ughhhh.

Hi,

I just started building an acoustic a few weeks ago and I got everything through lmii.com's kit wizard. It was nice because it had a list of everything that you need there, plus you get a good discount if you buy everything together (turned out to be be like 40 hours of my summer job but the wood looks great... and it seems better than stewmac)

Oh yeah and just off the top of my head you forgot tuning machines, finishing stuff, neck bolts (if you plan to go that road), binding/purfling, rosette (or you could use binding for that)

good luck!