Help with first finishing project

okay, you guys seem pretty knowledgable, so here's my situation. i got a saga strat kit so that i can have an inexpensive first run at finishing something. i intend to have it end up as a gift. i want to do it in pink and yellow stripes. i intend to do this by painting the whole body yellow, then taping the stripes, painting it pink, then removing the tape. so here are my questions thus far:

1. i plan to use airesol paints. can i just use any brand in the propper color? reranch only has coral pink and tv yellow; i want something more vibrant. what do i look for in a paint?

2. is the method i proposed to go about this acceptable? or is there a better way? i've heard that tape should be removed before the paint dries to avoid rough edges. is there a method to make this easy? it seems like it would be a hard thing to remove the tape without smudging the wet paint....do i wait until it's dry to the touch but not completely dry? or shortly after spraying whlie the paint is still wet?

3. are there any words of wisdom that those of you experienced in this could give me before i begin? what should i avoid? what should i make sure to do? i want this to turn out right the first time, with as little guess work as possible, so any advice would be wonderful.

okay, kinda a lot of stuff, but any answers would be wonderful! thanks guys, and keep up the good work!

shawn

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

For solid colors, I have my best luck with auto paints. Diplicolor is the stuff they sell at wallyworld. Its in the automotive section. Prime, wetsand primer with min of 600 grit, then color, wet sand between coats, then clear. Sould look good.

Duplicolor is good rattle can stuff, but I highly doubt they'll have a pink color as their colors are based on existing factory colors only. Pink may be hard to find in rattle period. You may find an enamel, but I would'nt use that for masking off stripes unless you wait a real long time. Can't help you with the paint, but as far as masking, the paint must be dry before you lay any tape on...that's why I use lacquer...dries fast in a few minutes. After your coats are built up enough, let it dry about 1/2 hour. You MUST get the 3M lime green masking tape. It will say for use on lacquer. I've used it with perfect results on 1/2 hour cured lacquer with no lift or gumminess and nice clean edge. It costs more that regular masking. After you shoot your contrast color, wait 15 minutes and pull the tape up sharply 90 degrees, slowly. I clearcoat after to bury any ridge left by the 2nd color. This instruction is for lacquer use only.

thanks for all the help guys....i went out and bought some cheap-o stuff cuz it was all i could find in the colors i wanted.....but i think i'm gonna do some more shopping around to make sure i can't find anything else before i get started....especially because of the fact that it started raining today, so it'll be at least a day or two before i can get an indoor setup that's suitable to spray in....but thanks for the help! i'll keep you posted on how it goes!

shawn

One thing you need to keep in consideration is that if you use the Duplicolor paint, don't use any other type, such as PlastiKote etc... simply because they won't bond the right way and really mess up an otherwise good paint job.. I know from experience. I ran out of Midnight Blue in the PlastiKote paint, went to the automotive store and guess what, they was out. So being the dummy I am.. lol.. I bought the Duplicolor paint in the same Midnight Blue color, and when I painted started back painting it.. it melted the other paint off.. lol It looked like I had ran a blow torch over it.. lol.. So don't mix and match different brands.. or you could be in for a big suprise... Also make sure you wear a respirator, lacquer can fry quite a bit of brain cells.. Good Luck on the project...

MaTT

hey guys, just wanted to give you the update....i've done my painting and started clear coating today. i struck the stripe idea in favor of somewhat of a sun-ray looking design....as in a focal point in one of the pickups with 12 alternating yellow-pink triangles coming out of it....then meeting back together on the back side of the guitar....so far it's turned out relitively well with a few minor glitches in my craftsmanship that i'm just gonna have to live with and learn from....so i have one quetion left.....i know that the body is supposed to get 3 coats of clear times 3 days at least, but how much clear should i put on the neck? so far i've done 3 coats, and plan on doing more, but should i do as much as i do on the body? thanks, and when i figure out my digital camera (it's a mess) i'll post some pics. thanks for the help!

shawn