Yawn...another wiring problem

fidgec94

I finished wiring my guitar and i now have the pickup wires round the right way :D

I found that my tone control was being funny, i was getting more treble cut as i turned clockwise. I swaped 2 wires around and now it goes the right way :D

Ive noticed a problem with the volume pot now and dont know why. Basically, as you turn the volume down from max, it doesnt really change that much. If you go the other way, the volume doesnt change much but as you get to 10, the volume all of a sudden jumps abit. Most noticeably, at zero, i still have a considerable amount of sound coming thru my amp.

Any ideas or is this a 'dude we're gonna at least have to see the wiring diagram to diagnose the problem'?!?! (i would post the wiring but i can quite remember it and im at work B) )

man what value etc is the pot that ur using for volume??? 500k logarithmic? that could be where the problem lies if ur not using a log pot

To the best of my knowledge (i.e what ive been sent) im using a 500k log pot. I can post a schematic if that will help?

I wanted master volume and master tone....so a little while back i bought two pots (both standard 1inch size), one logarithmic and the other linear. Then space limitation meant i had to replace the log pot with a mini log pot.The markings on the big pots are crap so i might accidently be using a log pot for tone as well as a the mini log pot for volume. Could this be the cause of the volume problem? (its probably not, but im all out of ideas)

No matter if you have a log pot or a linear one, there should be no sound at zero. This symptom could occur if the ground is interrupted somewhere. Maybe there is a bad connection on the ground wire of your volume pot, or the pot's leg is loose depending on how the pot is made. If this doesn't help, then it might be easier to continue if you post a schematic.

Hmmm..I had that problem before. Does your pot have three lugs? Most do...anyhoo...the clockwise-most lug is the "input" (from pickups/switch), the center is the "output" and the other lug should be grounded to the pot itself.

The only reason I am saying this is because without the ground, the pot doesn't know to grow or volume off when turnign it counterclockwise. And that sounded kind of like the problem you had. If not, I'd say it's a POS pot. :D

I agree with James. Check your ground connections - all of them. I finished a J bass a few weeks ago and on her initial official give her hell test drive I had the same problem. i popped the hood and found a "cold" solder joint. It looked solid but wasn't all nice and shiny. I must have jiggled the wire a little before the solder hardened up. I hit it with the soldering iron and got a good remelt and made sure to hold still this time. Plugged in the bass and no more funky pot problem. :D