How Tight Should Tuning Machine Bushings Be?

I cant seem to find a solid answer on this, so i figured i would go to you guys for a quick opinion on how you tight you make your bushings for your tuning machines. My headstock is mahogony and the bushings i got (sta-tite grover's) from stew mac say to make the hole 11/32 diameter for the bushing. I always thought your bushings were supposed to be kinda tight, but i may be wrong. When i counterbore a test piece of mahogony to 11/32.. the bushing dosnt fall in, but it dosnt take hardly any pressure to get it to go in all the way. Once in, it dosnt seem to spin and i cant pull it out with my fingernails, but if i put something in the hole from behind it pops out very easily. So just out of curiousity, how tight of a fit do you guys suggest for bushings... should i need to slightly hammer them in? or should they be press fit? I also am aware that once i put a finish on the hole will tighten up a bit.. but its alot easier to make a hole a little bigger than to make it a little smaller.

Your bushings don't spin without a nut on it, and you can't pry it out with your fingernails - depending on what kind of tuners you have I would say you are doing really well.

Once you fasten the tuner to the headstock, it won't go anywhere. There must be some sort of way to lock the tuner down, either screws, or a top bushing that either screws down or is press fit. Maybe a nut that locks it down. You typically don't rely on the fit of the tuner in the headstock for all of your security.

I guess I'm missing the question, because what you described is a perfect fit.

-John

im not worried that the tuner will go anywhere because there are 2 screws on each tuner that screws it to the back. I am just a little concerned that the bushing itself that presses into the top will come loose. These are the tuners i got. You will see if you go to specs there is the tuning machine that gets 2 screws.. and a .344 diameter bushing that presses in. My concern is that the 11/32 (.343) diameter hole they say to drill isnt enough bite for the bushing to stay in place unless i want it to come out. I know it may seem like a noobish question, but i just wanna be positive before i go and do this.

I would think if you can't pry it out with your fingernail, you have it plenty tight enough. You don't want it too tight. Otherwise you could crack your finish when you press them in.

This is what I was going to say. Your hole should've been drilled before finish was applied. Once your ready to press them in the lacquer (or whatever finish you have) will make it tighter. You will always want to ream out all your holes after finish, b/c your finish is usually uneven in those areas.

Mike

If it's not to late, If the bushings can be pushed in by hand without to much force, and need to be gently prised from there "seated" position before coming out then I say they are perfect.

If youhave to push them in with a lot of pressure then they will be to tight, which will put pressure on the headstock, to loose well they may move a little but with everything tightened up and strung is more preferable to to tight