Neck 1st String Problems

Just got done building a strat and having a few little problems. The 1st string doesnt have much substain....like its bairly touching something I have tried adjusting the action and doesnt help it any. Could it be possbile the neck is slighlty crooked and causing it to do this? Also im wanting to refinish the neck and want it to be a high gloss but slick....would Tru-Oil be good for this or no? its a Maple Neck with Pau Ferro Fingerboard.

Edited by Twoods196

Have you checked the nut slot, saddle breaking edge or pickup heights?

Yeh, the pickup height is correct. The but slot is kinda small what do I need to look at on it...im sure it has something to do with the nut know because i can hold it on down on fret 1 and it rings perfect...but open it dies out quickly.....so its something to do with the nut...it doesnt look like it sitting it the nut that good

The string needs to be contacting (breaking over) the nut at the very front of the slot next to the fingerboard otherwise the string may choke or vibrate oddly. Either that or the slot is too low and it's choking on the first fret.

This is a great article on preparing a nut, which may help you troubleshoot the problem:

http://www.bryankimsey.com/nuts/

I just looked it over and I can take the string and pick it up out of the nut and barely sit it back on it and it works fine but when i push down on it it pops back in the nut hole....like kinda of a popping in like the top of the groove is too small....So do you think i need to file a little out of it?