Purchasing 3m Perfect-it Finishing Compound In The Uk

pike168

Im trying to refinish a strat using the how to paint your guitar book from www.paintyourownguitar.com, Ive wet sanded the clear with 1500 grit paper and now i need to apply 3M Perfect-It Finishing Compound to complete the project, Only problem is that i dont know where to purchase it within the UK.

Does anyone happen to know where i can get some, If not, could you recommend what product to use instead of the 3M stuff.

Cheers

Im trying to refinish a strat using the how to paint your guitar book from www.paintyourownguitar.com, Ive wet sanded the clear with 1500 grit paper and now i need to apply 3M Perfect-It Finishing Compound to complete the project, Only problem is that i dont know where to purchase it within the UK.

Does anyone happen to know where i can get some, If not, could you recommend what product to use instead of the 3M stuff.

Cheers

i get mine from ebay.

if you cant find a panel factors near you try ebay.

if your still stuck i can send you some for cost

:D

Cheers

As Dickie_rayne says you can get it off of ebay, I bought the last lot I had from there albeit some time ago now. Another option if you can't track any down though, would be to try 'T cut'. I tend to use 'T cut' as my regular finishing compound these days after any minor flaws in the final lacquer coat are knocked back with 2000 wet and dry, works a treat :D

Jim

The polish you bought will be ok. It's a fast cut compound which means it will be quite abrassive (as is T-cut). Make sure your paint is fully cured and dont over polish on edges as it's possible to polish through the topcoat. You may also find that some very fine scratches are left which will require a finer polish to remove them such as 3m Perfect it "finishing compound" If you don't see this on ebay try 3m Finesse it which you can get from here

http://www.smartexpress.co.uk/shop/product...products_id=126

another brand to consider is Farecla which can be supplied in smaller bottles

http://www.smartexpress.co.uk/shop/product...products_id=135

Farecla & 3m are the 2 brands most commonly used in UK Paintshops.

While all of the polishes listed on that link will be formulated for different finishes you only need a compound and finishing polish.

Just as you work through the different grades of wet and dry paper, the compound will polish the flatting marks left by 1500 and the finishing polish will remove the (very fine) swirls left by the compound.

will you be polishing by hand or by machine?