IVE GOT A problem!

:D:DB) so tonight i was working on a guitar for a christmas gift for someone, i was shaping the body top and i clamped the neck into the vise (i dont have the fret board glued on yet) and then i hear it, the worst sound a man could hear, i rather of hear my finger getting chopped off by a table saw!

the neck split right down the middle! not all the way though, about 4inches from the headstock to about 4 inches from the heel. B)B)B)

that is what i did :D:D

so my delema is this, my guitars are built with the neck running all the way past the bridge, and on this model i have a five layer binding and a walnut top, so i cant just take the thing apart! if i did that then i might as well just use it for fire wood and start over.

so my question is - if i glued the split and then used two carbon reinforcing rods with the truss rod, do you think it will be ok? none of the wood was lost it was just a fracture that folowed were the truss rod channel is. B):D

im lucky im out of bullets, this has been a bad bad week! :D

very odd.... so the neck is glued into the body? and the headstock didn't break, it's running up the middle of the neck right behind the truss rod?? (pic please) if you can actually get some glue in there properly and get it clamped without breaking something else (:D sorry couldn't resist) then yes it'll be fine.... just think of it as a semi laminate neck B)

I assume that your neck is already profiled. If so I think that before you get to the gluing stage you need to make some cauls to fit the neck for clamping. In order for the repair to have strength, the clamping force needs to be applied not just at the widest part of the neck. If you made cauls with a lip on the top edge to keep it aligned with the flat side where the FB will go, and then curved to match the profile of the neck, you can clamp solidly.

Glues set up fast and I would do a trial run with the clamping procedure to be sure you can get it the way you want in just a few minutes. And then I'd leave the whole thing set for a few days. Let it get settled again before you touch it.

We've all made mistakes, don't go wishing your fingers away, it may turn out to be a fine axe yet.

well see the truss rod was not in it yet so since the channel was already routed it cracked along that, but to open the crack you have to clamp it and to close the crack you need to release the clamps. i glued it up about a half an hour ago, so we'll see tommorow. i just bums me out! the guitar is looking soo good then i do something stupid! now i know to never clamp the neck without the fret board on it! better yet im never gonna clamp the neck!

yeah i guess your right maybe i dont want to lose my finger, the neck should be fine i glued the fret board on tonight, we'll see?

i gues i just over reacted seeing as i have already put about 40-50 hurs of work into this thing, escpecially all the binding! its all wood so it takes a loooong time to do.