Wiring Three Humbuckers?

woodtiger

im building a guitar. i 've built one successful instrument.....a P-bass copy that turned out really well (heavy as hell though. i shouldn't have used padouk!) that one was simple because i just copied one. this is the first time i ve done one from scratch. im making a six string ....gibson-ish body style in ash with a Fender scale length. I bought Pickups from kent armstrong (one Motherbucker and a rail type single coil-lookin stacked humbucker...HR1R for the bridge position) basically three humbuckers. the sound possibilities are endless i imagine...in/out phase, combos, tapped, etc. I dont need a million selections and i want to keep my switching to a minimum. i just need three good tones.... one bassy/thick, one hot to cut through for solos and something interesting for a clean.

any suggestions on how to wire these buckers?

cheers,

woodtiger

Edited by woodtiger

Sorry - was trying to offer the simple stuff. You could treat the KA as neck/mid or add a sustainer and really get some unique tones. Regardless, there are as many ways to wire this as hair on a dog so it's up to what kind of tone you're looking for. You can always go simple and use a push/pull pot to control the KA coils or combine the 5-way with a p/p (have an ibanez I did this on) to split the hum or add the hum as necessary. Also can use various combinations of attaching certain caps to the specific coil split and having a blended sound, on and on. Check out http://guitarelectronics.zoovy.com/ they have a TON of various diagrams and ideas to get going.

this guitar is still being made. maybe i should get it all strung up and try the different sounds before i commit? i'm trying to plan the wiring so that i make the right size control cavity. is there any reason i would absolutley need two volumes or tones? i'd rather just the two knobs and not four.

thanks for the responses!

No problem at all. IMHO and several others on here - only super tone freaks ever use the second tone knob. Most of use get by with 1 V, 1 T or 2 V, 1 T. When I build basses, I will use two and two, but that is because there is a different dynamic on basses and on bass - I am a super tone freak :D

With regards to where you want the cavities, general rule of thumb is to get the one for the neck as close to the neck as possible to enhance a natural deep tone, and the bridge quite close to the bridge to accept the brightside of the world. Sort of a yin/yang.

thats what i wanted to hear....

ive cut the pickup holes out already. the neck is almost sitting against my truss rod nut and the bridge is anlged pretty darn close to the saddles ...3/4 of an inch away. i didnt know what angle to use so i just went with a gut feeling ... not crazy steep maybe 10 degrees. i will post pics after the paint goes on.

would a sustainer need a battery on-board? i dont want an active circuit

Edited by woodtiger