Do You Use An Internal Template When Chambering?

Chambering Template

I tend to make templates for everything, it prevents me from both making mistakes and changing my ideas on the fly. It doesn't take all that much time really to make a template and they give you a nice clean route. Anyhow, thats my preference. Jason

Edited by jmrentis

Chambering Template

I tend to make templates for everything, it prevents me from both making mistakes and changing my ideas on the fly. It doesn't take all that much time really to make a template and they give you a nice clean route. Anyhow, thats my preference. Jason

I am pretty sure I agree. Thanks for the link. It was handy because I was thinking I needed round curves, but of course, for chambers, that segmented approximation is fine.

+1 on all the above. I think it just comes down to common sense really. If it's close to the edges or may be visible in some way (through control cavity, f-holes, etc) then templates allow you to get closer and make them cleaner. If neither of the above matter, then it's personal choice - although it is of course good practice and makes the end product that much more satisfying for the luthier if craftsmanship is your thing.

Would rough internal edges be called "static toneflakes"? :-D

+1 on all the above. I think it just comes down to common sense really. If it's close to the edges or may be visible in some way (through control cavity, f-holes, etc) then templates allow you to get closer and make them cleaner. If neither of the above matter, then it's personal choice - although it is of course good practice and makes the end product that much more satisfying for the luthier if craftsmanship is your thing.

Would rough internal edges be called "static toneflakes"? :-D

I completely agree with these thoughts: "good practice", "much more satisfying", "craftsmanship", "closer and cleaner", etc. Should be the luthiers standard.