Out Of Ideas: All Over Neck Fret Buzz

As a professional piano technician, I'm suspicious of a tradesman who feels the need to protect 'trade secrets'. I disclose each an every detail of all the work I do for any client who wants to listen. I have full confidence in my work and don't need to hide anything. The reason is that I know you can study my methods 'till the cows come home and you still won't pose any threat to my business. There's no magic to finding your buzz. Just plain old technique and knowlege. The right luthier will fix it in a minute, and show you how he did it.

Well, I certainly wouldn't expect an under $100 set-up to include a "classroom course".

I tend to think the term "trade secrets" has a double meaning. One meaning more obvious, the other meaning : I'll share a tool or technique I came up with, if you do the same.

Not so much : " since you're willing to stand here for an hour, I'll cut to the chase and tell you all about what took me years to figure out and cost me plenty with books and videos, tools, too much of my free time, etc".

"set up" : I've seen a fret-level included in that catagory sometimes. I don't agree with it a whole lot, but that's how some see it. (in other words I think a fret-level is going beyond set-up work)

And maybe most important : There's some things that if you show someone, and they try to do it, they're likely to make a real mess. Showing someone how high to adjust their pickups is one thing (that's the kind of info you should give to the guy standing there), but fret leveling is just not something to casually discuss (if the person is going to actually try to do what you talk to them about)