Why Do My Pots Suck?

low end fuzz

so; preamps are by far my favorite thing ever invented, but in this situation, a lil over the top;

im wiring one jazz pup to vol tone;

i wire it all up and i get sound and what not; but there is no change( besides the amount of hum )when i turn the knobs;

the volume stays at one consistant level with a small hum, when i crank it 'full' the hum clears up; same thing with the tone, it does nothing;

theres not one 2 pot diagram that does anything i havent tried and its the same result; i switched around through alot of pots;

i got these a while back in bulk from allparts; is this my problem?

i have both 500 and 250 and its all the same story;

now most of you are gonna first say the hum is from improper grounding; which is technically true; because im doing the 'pre'wiring in a harness to drop in when its done; and im grounding to a common piece of copper stuck on my block; its like looking into a sheilded cavity; but the hum isnt the problem ; its the not changing anyhting thats driving me nuts!! (just to clarify)

the 500 and 250 are different in the respect one are linear and the other audio taper; i cant remember which is which; but neither are doing anything so who cares!

is this an allparts issue or a me being stupid issue; its ok, ican take it; i just want them to work!

thanx

i know its long, im frustrated

grant

I am having a lot of trouble working out what you are talking about :D

is this an allparts issue or a me being stupid issue; its ok, ican take it; i just want them to work!

So...my guess it's the later over the former...

more details, diagram and clearer explanation please

pete

PS...you ground to a piece of copper?!?#@$?

i guess its kinda jumbled, as im trying to explain all this crap;

im gonna plug away a little and think of smaller ;more precise problems to hurdle , buy process of elimation and see what happens;

and i dont ground to a 'piece' of copper; i have a setup for wiring thats a block of wood with holes for the pot shafts to sit with copper tape over the entire face to ground to ,to simulate the inside of the cavity.

Do you ground this to the strings...? I hope so.

I do not think that it will be a pot problem, more a wiring one. The likely hood of a faulty pot is slim...but if you have tried two, I think the problem lies elsewhere...

pete

Well, how can we help or even have an opinion if we don't even have a picture or diagram?

defeated=bypass..kind of.

is this a bass "jazz" pickup or a jazz guitar?

take the pickup and connect it directly to a jack plug...does that work? Right, now add a volume control...got that working, right...add a tone control...done! Make sure at all times the strings are grounded...to be sure add a wire directly to the strings and see if that works. make sure your cable is working ok.

Do you have a multimeter...attach it to the centre tag of the pot and either outside one...turn the pot and you will see the resistance rise from 0-250K/500K proving to you that the pot works...

That said, I have been having problems with a wiring and the tone control seems to be causing no end of problems...eventually I left it out for a while :D . But if I were to ask for help, I'd have to draw up the diagram...if anyone can help me with my problem on the details I have given, I'd be very surprised.

So, post a diagram of exactly what you have done, or try the steps above. If pots fail, it is ususally a mechanical thing and you can see or feel the problem...if not these are unlikely to be the problem...but that is what the multimeter is for!

pete

im gonna search 'defeated' right now; but for the chance of coming up empty can you explain this;

to me that sounds like something im doing is bypassing the pots job; which seems what is exactly happening!

Yes, what I meant is that you must have somehow inadvertently bypassed the volume pot so that it is basically doing nothing now.