Recessed Tuneomatic

i was thinking of making a flying v and i need a couple answers. I heard you need a neck angle and i really dont want to screw around with that because this will be my first build. Also i was thinking that a tunomatic would look that most kick ass so i would like to do that but u have to recess it if you dont want to fart around with the neck angle. Is that hard? And also if i dont use a tunomatic i would use a normal non trem hardtail. I have no idea where im going im just lost!

i was thinking of making a flying v and i need a couple answers. I heard you need a neck angle and i really dont want to screw around with that because this will be my first build. Also i was thinking that a tunomatic would look that most kick ass so i would like to do that but u have to recess it if you dont want to fart around with the neck angle. Is that hard? And also if i dont use a tunomatic i would use a normal non trem hardtail. I have no idea where im going im just lost!

Neck angle isn't that hard. Try making a flat neck, then make a wedge shaped shim, same size as the neck heel, with holes for the neck screws. Adjust the shim, trying it until the neck will bolt on at a good angle for the bridge (you can calculate the rough angle first so not much fine tuning is needed), and when you are happy, glue the shim onto the neck (or just leave it under the neck heel - it isn't going to fall out).

OK, making both is rather easy. A wedge shaped shim? Harder to do than incorporating the angle into the neck pocket.

There are about 3 threads pinned on the forum you posted this thread.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showforum=30

you need to make a full scale (or a drawing to scale) of the guitar to determine the neck angle. Once that is done you place the template you will use to rout the neck pocket at the angle you need.

For the recessed TOM, you need to make a template that will allow the TOM to be flush all the way around.

I think the easiest and best way to do it is to angle the neck pocket.

Yep. It's easy: attach your neck pocket template at the appropriate angle and route. You can establish this angle with the carve of the top, or by supporting the template at the proper angle.

Of course, doing a flat neck angle and recessing the bridge should be just as easy. Just make a template around the shape of the TOM, and route to the appropriate depth.

Of course, as already mentioned, all of this will be planned precisely on paper before you start cutting your expensive wood. :D

Welcome Andy! You really ought to do yourself a favour and make sure your next spend is on the book called "Make Your Own Electric Guitar" by Melvyn Hiscock, can't recommend it enough!! In it he guides you through how to determine the neck angle and all that stuff, as well as countless other things you didn't realise you needed to know.

DJ