Qld Maple, Grain Filling?

ae3

Hey guys, got me a a neck thru roades with QlD maple body sides and a hard maple centre, what I want to know is: Do I have to fill the grain on the QLD maple to aceive a gloss finish. In other words, is it a pourus wood?

Thnx in advance for any and all replies.

Hey guys, got me a a neck thru roades with QlD maple body sides and a hard maple centre, what I want to know is: Do I have to fill the grain on the QLD maple to aceive a gloss finish. In other words, is it a pourus wood?

Thnx in advance for any and all replies.

My QLD maple neck blanks will be arriving soon I hope, so I am interested in this as well. Maton probably know, because they use it in their guitars. From their website "Queensland Maple has become the backbone of the Maton sound", but I guess we may need to experiment on a test piece.

no maple besides burled maple will require filling. there is no grain holes to fill.

WRONG!!!!

This is the case with 'true' Maple. Qld. Maple is a Maple only by name, not in any way related by species.

Flindersia Brayleyana

Qld Maple follow Characteristics closer to Mahogany in many respects including workability, less porous grain and

to limited amounts sonic qualities also.

I use predomiinantly Pre-cat Nitro with these and I've refinished in a variety of ways.

One way I've had success with is to spray a coat of Amber shellac all over, then once dry I'll mix up a slurry

of Timbermate grainfill and grainfill with this. Once I'm happy with this I'll then seal off with another coat of Amber Shellac before starting my Nitro coats.

The second way which I rely on just as much is to Spray thinned coats of nitro first to sink into the grain and then subsequent coats to fill the grain with Nitro. This increases your refinish schedule exponentially as you've got more coats, more rub-back and more time to allow for shrink-back.

I've got one I'm doing now which is getting this treatment.

eclipse19.jpg

The body and Outer Neck is Qld Maple.

cheers, Stu