Telecaster Refinish

gtx

A friend of mine has a 1997 American Standard Telecaster, the neck finish is flaking off in large sections.

Could anyone tell me what finish fender used on necks during this time period, I would also like to know if there are any kinds of paint stripper that is safe to use on these necks. one of the spots is in the middle of the fourth fret that is the reason I was wanting to use a paint stripper instead of sanding. I have done a lot of refinishing before but this guitar has a lot of sentimental value to my friend because it belonged to his late brother, and I am sort of nervous about working on it.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Man that sucks, that gonna be a bitch to get off. Hmm you could try calling Fender and asking them. I would assume polyurethane just because thats what the Mexican strats are. Try the heat method. Ask the kid if he leaves it in hot cars or next to a fireplace (happens lol). The head can make the finish peel away from the neck and body.

edit- K I was wrong, its MIM strats bodys have a polyester finish but it looks most fender necks have a polyurethane finish. You could buy a test kit and determine what the finish is before you do anything. Test on the heal of the neck and the neck pocket. Either way you can use the heat method to remove both. I used a hair dryer and a sharp knife.

Edited by InSasquatchCountry