Hollowbody Sketch

Hi!

Just wanted to show a sctech of a hollowbody im planning.

I think the body will be all maple, with a babyblue matallic finish :D

Dimensions are 340x424x55mm, with a 25,5" scale length. Not sure if i want a tele style headstock or a reversed firebird headstock.

guitar.png

Comments and critics are welcome!

//Martin

Seems like you only have a couple of 1/4" wide pieces of wood holding up the elipse between the to partial F holes on each side. Seems pretty fragile? ? ?

The inner outline is the carving :D

This is how i planned the routing (think it will be strong enough, 10mm thick on the edges):

guitar2.png

Seems like you only have a couple of 1/4" wide pieces of wood holding up the elipse between the to partial F holes on each side. Seems pretty fragile? ? ?

An eggshell seems pretty fragile, a woody guitar made of wood strengthened with woody bracing made of wood is much stronger than it might seem.

Ps. Unless you attack it with a hammer

I'd buy it! It looks like a nice project, and a very balanced shape. I would go for a Firebird headstock personally, seeing as it already looks a lot like a Tele.

Metallic blue? Channeling Dave Grohl a bit? :D What pickup are you thinking of putting in?

Hehe, yeah. I'm a big fan of Grohl :D

Don't know... yet. SwedishLuthier here on the forums might have a pickup that may fit. The tune-o-matic bridge vill be piezo loaded. B)

Nice, a lot like the guitar I'm doing. Don't forget to have a block under the bridge and leave some wood around the neck pocket so it doesn't wobble

The top will be around 10mm thick - the carving.

It probably doesn't need bracing then. Just my feeling, as I have only built one acoustic and have little experience.

i thought of yamaha when i saw the f-holes but i can see they are not the same... i like them either way

aes620hb_medium_jpg.jpg

They served as an inspiration B)

link

What do you think of this setup?

i'm kind of nervous about doing a neck angle. So this setup would be perfect :D

link

Also made some minor changes to the sketch. gretch/tv jones style pickup and steeper carving on the bass 'horn'.

EDIT:

Is a tune-o-matic angle of 2.79 degrees correct? :D

Edited by MiKro

I like it a lot, I'd buy it too.

Although, I can't see the need for the additional bracing at the heel end now that you've routed them through to each other.

As for recessed TOM's; dunno why, but I just don't really like the look of them.

Thank you :D

Yeah, i removed them.

They do for sure not look as godd as ordinary TOM's but i think it would save me some headace :D

here comes a quick photoshop mockup

Bild%2082.png

Edited by -martin-

Hehe, i'll be taking orders as soon as its finished :D

Just got a great deal on woods for the body. 1 set (2 pieces) of alder 1 3/4 x 7 x 21 and 1 set 1/2 x 7 x 21.

Is alder as good as maple? know its good for solidbodies but how about hollowbodies? the dave grohl 335 is all maple.

Also have an idea of putting the battery and eq for the piezo in a stompbox type of thing if its possible... dont wanna put ugly things in the beatiful body :D

Edited by -martin-

How much for that wood, and were did you get it from (always trying to find alternative sources here in Sweden...)

BTW, your pickup is done, just waiting for the cover to arrive in the beginning of next week.

Hehe, i'll be taking orders as soon as its finished :D

Just got a great deal on woods for the body. 1 set (2 pieces) of alder 1 3/4 x 7 x 21 and 1 set 1/2 x 7 x 21.

Is alder as good as maple? know its good for solidbodies but how about hollowbodies? the dave grohl 335 is all maple.

Also have an idea of putting the battery and eq for the piezo in a stompbox type of thing if its possible... dont wanna put ugly things in the beatiful body B)

My Yamaha semi has an Alder body with a Maple top. Sounds great. The top is only 1/8th of an inch thick. I noticed you intend to make yours much thicker. I'm curious because I plan on copying mine this winter. (first build) How did you come up with that thickness?? By the way I love the body design and the colour.

:D

How much for that wood, and were did you get it from (always trying to find alternative sources here in Sweden...)

$97.50 (≈650 SEK) from ebay including shipping. :D

Bröderna holm skulle ha 2000.- för en lönnplanka på 200x2500x52 mm

BTW, your pickup is done, just waiting for the cover to arrive in the beginning of next week.

Great :D

My Yamaha semi has an Alder body with a Maple top. Sounds great. The top is only 1/8th of an inch thick. I noticed you intend to make yours much thicker. I'm curious because I plan on copying mine this winter. (first build) How did you come up with that thickness?? By the way I love the body design and the colour.

Thank you B)

I wanted a little thicker guitar for more acoustic feeling (sound) and wanted much carving. added some more to the wood i ordered for sanding and smoothing B)

another update, smaller f-holes and added white bindning and knobs/switch

Bild%2083.png

• 2 months later...

Finally got some time for this one.

Started drawing the templates today, and will cut them out tomorrow.

Main template

Hollow

And this is the pickup i bought from SwedishLuthier

Pickup

The wood i got were mouisture damaged during shipping so the wood a little bent, any tips on how i should straighten it again?

Can i dampen them, clamp them toghter with osome straigt metal pieces and put them in a drying cabinet?

Edited by -martin-

I'm wondering where a chambered guitar ends and a semi-hollow begins.

To me, a semi is built more along the lines of an acoustic or an archtop, that is, the sides are bent, and the top and back are glued onto that. Which is part of what gives the guitar its sound.

On the other hand, a lot of Rickenbackers seem to be built like this, where the two halves are just hollowed out blanks. So are they still considered semis?

Nice to see some progress on this one. Sorry to hear about the wood. I have not had the need to handle warped wood but I *think* that you have the right method lined out. The topic have been covered a few times but it might be hard to find those posts. You might try a nice and polite PM to someone that might have better experience of this. I'm instantly thinking about Fryovanni (Rich even sells wood) but there are a lot of other members that might be able to help you. Hopefully someone will chip in on the subject.

I'm wondering where a chambered guitar ends and a semi-hollow begins.

To me, a semi is built more along the lines of an acoustic or an archtop, that is, the sides are bent, and the top and back are glued onto that. Which is part of what gives the guitar its sound.

On the other hand, a lot of Rickenbackers seem to be built like this, where the two halves are just hollowed out blanks. So are they still considered semis?

To me... chambered solidbody=semi-SOLID.

Bent sides, like an archtop but w/center block=semi-HOLLOW.

Interesting question, kind of "is the glass half full"

Personally I think of a hollow body something that was designed this way with a thin top ES-335. Chambered is something that was designed to be a solid body with holes routed in it (Thinline Tele etc).

-martin- - Glad to see it's comming on, I really like this design..... although I'd still get SL to make you another pup and put that on there :D

BTW - Swedish Luthier - I have a load of strat style pole pieces sitting upstairs which I don't think I'll use (well not all 120+ anyway), For the life of me I can't remember what magnet they are but I'm trying to find out. Fancy a trade of some description?