Wiring Question

possum1284

I recently had eye surgery so im trying to avoid soldering,i was was woldering if i could just twist the wires together and use the caps electricians use, since all im doing really is cconnecting 2 wires together which were cut, Would this hurt the tone at all?

here is a picture of the caps im talking about.

thanks,

Adam

f66dd5e9-8971-4558-ae2f-b7aa3a3e641b_300.jpg

I recently had eye surgery so im trying to avoid soldering,i was was woldering if i could just twist the wires together and use the caps electricians use, since all im doing really is cconnecting 2 wires together which were cut, Would this hurt the tone at all?

here is a picture of the caps im talking about.

thanks,

Adam

f66dd5e9-8971-4558-ae2f-b7aa3a3e641b_300.jpg

Wire nuts will probably work fine for wires, yes, but won't enable you to connect wires to the control pots and switched.

Wire nuts are made for 16 gauge electrical wires not 22-20 gauge hookup wire and some pickup wires are 24 gauge (tiny). Electrical tape would be better if you cannot get someone else to solder it up.

The word 'cap' is sometimes used as a short version of capacitor, but that's a different thing than what you have which is a wirenut. To confuse the issue, the wirenut probably does have some capacitance, but I doubt anyone could hear it. In any case, as mammoth says, it would be better to use electrical tape.

few days back i was wondering why guitar makers don't do a standard connection between electronic parts of the guitar, so to change the pickups you could use a plug like this..

rover_install31.jpg

Would be good if someone just test with right tools if there will be lost of any gain using this kind of connection.

I know that solder is always the best option but there are really good plugs in the computer world that are proof fail too, and let's say for a musician that didn't find the right pickups or parts you could just go to a store and test 20 pickups on a day...

I think EMG pickups come with some sort of molex plug, so it can be done. I've been thinking about doing it if I ever finish the guitar I'm working on :D . This also means that you can wire most of the electronics outside of the guitar, then simply drop it in and connect the output jack and pickups to the pots and switches. (you could of course do this even if you didn't use a molex plug, and just do most of the work then drop it in and solder the few remaining wires) If you do, I suggest drilling some holes in a piece of scrap wood to put the pots and switches in. This will hold them in place and if you space the holes in the same manner as they are on your guitar, it makes sure that none of your wires are too short when it is time to assemble it in the control cavity.

Heggis