Either use your computer for a search engine or use the phone book and look up:

Hardwood Suppliers

Exotic Wood (remember to skip past exotic dancing)

Lumber, Hardwood

...those kind of entries. There are more, but that's a start.

If using a search engine, remember to plug your state or county in so you get local answers, but hell, everyone knows how to use search engines correctly, right? :D

Lately, I've been using e-Bay a lot too, but I wouldn't until you get some time in under your belt. There 'are' sharks and misrepresentations out there...

*For e-Bay*, use the same words for their search engine.

Quilted Maple

Mahogony

Flamed Maple

Fretboard (I just saw a guy selling a rack of nice ones today actually)

Don't overlook the OBVIOUS words like:

guitar top

fretboard

AAAAA

AAAA

5A

4A

things like that...it's all aboud the words you choose for your search engine mate...

haHA!! :D

You, Mr. Wes, has juzz become a Forum Nazi! :D

(JK), I agree with you actually, that's kind of an inside joke aimed at the folks around here who diss the MIMForum for making NEW people LOOK for **** first before they'll answer, which, from what I've read, has pissed a few membuh's off around here.

Now you know why they do that, they get tired of answering the same damned beginner questions over and over and over and over and over again....

B) Just thought it was funny... :D

i realized the irony when i was writing it...but to be fair i spent 2 months reading before i joined...but that is just me..it was more a wish than anything.those tuts and supply links will help more than any single post.

of course the specific questions are a joy to read and answer.and new information is always cool

now i feel bad....forget it...

mahogany is about $8 a b.f. if you buy it from a local hardwood supplier...on some internet sites...maple is about the same..fretboard wood varies SOOO much.bocote(like on my carved top)is about $10 a b.f.,while ebony is nearly $70 a b.f.

you can use lacewood or maple for the fingerboard too,or you can buy a preslotted one at warmoth or stewmac for between $15 and $22 bucks.

i wouldn't put a top on that first guitar...keep it simple,go with solid mahogany..about 1 3/4" to 1 7/8"

you will save money by not buying those expensive blanks from places like stewmac or carvin

now i feel bad....forget it...

mahogany is about $8 a b.f. if you buy it from a local hardwood supplier...on some internet sites...maple is about the same..fretboard wood varies SOOO much.bocote(like on my carved top)is about $10 a b.f.,while ebony is nearly $70 a b.f.

you can use lacewood or maple for the fingerboard too,or you can buy a preslotted one at warmoth or stewmac for between $15 and $22 bucks.

i wouldn't put a top on that first guitar...keep it simple,go with solid mahogany..about 1 3/4" to 1 7/8"

you will save money by not buying those expensive blanks from places like stewmac or carvin

thanks man

i decided the same thing about the top last night while i was trying to draw up some kind of plan. what i want to do is just have a natural wood finish with woodburned designs, which shouldn't be too hard to do.

i also like a guitar with some weight to it, and this is going to be a les paul shape, so should it be thicker? also, what is a b.f.? (you can tell i'm a newb lol)

the preslotted fingerboard sounds like a good idea.

b.f. = (by the) board foot. It's just a common way to measure wood for pricing.

If you're planning on doing some woodburning, you should ask around to the 'burners, as I think some woods 'burn' better than others, so that might influence your decision as to what wood to use.

I 'think' Basswood is a popular burner wood, not sure tho...but find out first, and while you are starting to build the guitar, practice your burning skills at the same time so you'll be ready by the time the guitar is ready also.

if you do get 2" stock make sure it's 2" AFTER it's been planed and stuff... if you just ask them for 2" thick.... they'll probably give you something "about" 2" that'll probably be ruff cut so you may end up with something as thin as 1.70" after you've planed it flat and clean on both sides.