Buying A Fretsaw

WAK Guitars

I ordered some fretwire and truss rod, etc. from stewmac the other day. The fretwire I ordered says that its designed for a 0.023" fret slot. So I have to buy a dovetail or gentlemens saw for the job. I dont really want to buy stewmac's fretsaw because it seems a little overpriced and I'll have to pay shipping. I found a similar saw at Lee Valley and it says that it has a 0.014" kerf. Would that be ok even though the fretwire is designed for a slightly wider slot?

Thanks

:D

I ordered some fretwire and truss rod, etc. from stewmac the other day. The fretwire I ordered says that its designed for a 0.023" fret slot. So I have to buy a dovetail or gentlemens saw for the job. I dont really want to buy stewmac's fretsaw because it seems a little overpriced and I'll have to pay shipping. I found a similar saw at Lee Valley and it says that it has a 0.014" kerf. Would that be ok even though the fretwire is designed for a slightly wider slot?

Thanks

:D

If the kerf is .014" no. You need to be very close. I found a saw years ago that does the job just right(in town), and use it for touch up(I use a circular saw blade from Stew for the initial slots). I have run across saws that were very close(one cut a .019" slot, which did not fly), but you have to try the saw and see if it cuts the right slot. I can't recall where I bought that saw, but I would recommend buying one that is known to be just right(maybe someone will drop a brand and model), test the saw before you buy.

Rich

Stew-Mac wire seems to have a tang width of .022".

Been a long time since I've sawn fresh slots in a board. Don't you end up with a slot width at least .001" wider than the saw's kerf ?

I like a 1:1 match most of the time. Take a Fender neck with .020" slots (love that even number !), and then my favorite fret-wire (stuff made in Germany and sold through several outlets) has some sizes with a .020" wide tang. haven't had any back-bow problems lately from this 1:1 match (of course new fret-boards these days just don't seem as stiff as ones from many years ago).

Of course if you are not going to shave down the barbs if needed, then go wider on the slot.

These days I just skip the slotting and buy a board preslotted from lmii...I did buy an excellent preslotted board from a forum member for my exploder,but he said iirc that he does not want to do that on a regular basis,so I can't drop his name...

I slotted my first 2 guitar fretboards...I won't do it again...But I do have the stewmac gent's saw to deepen them if I need to for any reason.But check Grizzly and lmii for a cheaper saw

You guys and your .024" wide fret slots. Far East budget imports love that .024" also. Wish they would have copied Fender and Gibson on the width instead of going wider. All the best fret-wire these days is meant for a .020" to .022" slot, or am I wrong ? Is there some great wire out there with a .024" wide tang ? I got handfuls of used wire with a .024" wide tang but the stuff is like aluminum.

I keep planning to get a saw Like Brian Galloup uses on the neck-resetting video, after he plugs the steamer hole in the 14th fret-slot, he plugs it, then saws a new fret-slot through the plug with what appears to be a veratis flush-cut saw. Not 100% on that though.

I believe mine is .022..but it is so stiff I seem to recall using .024 slots...it works great....using the same size slot on the first attempt ended up in a very persistent backbow I had hell with....but to be perfectly honest,I have not fretted a board in almost 2 years now I think,so I have a hard time being absolutely sure about those dimensions...I know my saw is .024.

But I mean the slightly wider slot works really well for the ss...the frets slide in just right with the press...and I have had no movement yet that I know of...time will tell for sure though.