locking nut for a Strat neck

Hello all, this is my first post here, I´m Alberto and I wanna install a locking nut in my Strat neck (1 11/16"), and when I was fitting the nut I noticed the truss rod end protuding the level I need to install the nut , my question is: can I shave this metal part to fit the flat bottom of the nut (1 11/16") or I just need to put a 1 5/8" locking nut that fits over a bullet nut ( but this locking nut wouldn´t match the 1 11/16" neck width).

hope you can help,

Alberto

both nuts are still going to hit the top of the truss rod bullet, i think they make special shims for this that you can buy at allparts.com if not you might have to grind the bottom of the nut a bit to allow for the truss rod nut..... if i understand what you mean.

I tought about grinding the truss rod end a little so the nut would fit a flat surface, I think it´s better than using a different nut size, thanks for your replies. I just have one question: how would I just shims in a over the bullet nut? that´s not clear to me, if one of you could explain it to me it would be appreciated, later

Alberto

if you mill the truss rod bullet, you won't be able to adjust the truss rod without taking the nut off (and if you do you still have to repeat the milling operation to get the nut back on).

if there is a nut that can be used, use it. or maybe consider milling a slot in the locking nut?

Did I mention the possibility of using an R7 nut?

Oh yeah, you could also check into using an R7 nut if you can find one. Or, just try an R7 nut if you can find someone who sells them.

I think someone mentioned that Schaller sells them direct, if that doesn't work - try Schaller - I think they sell an R7 nut. ..... ...... .....

Ahhhh!!!!!!!!! I can't stop talking about the R7 nut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:DB)

Thanks a lot guys, I will check the R6 and the R7, I think it would be better instead of messing with the nut, do you think I can find one on ebay? To me it would be easier than buying one from Schaller.

Thanks anyway, you´ve been very helpful, best regards

Alberto

Make sure that the R6 is the correct part. I looked at the chart and it doesn't look like it is the right size for a 1 11/16" width. I thought it was the R7 since I saw a posting on the net from someone who did this before. The R7 is listed as 41.28mm and the R6 is listed as 39.69mm. The 1 11/16 converts to 42.86mm so I would think that the R6 may not be correct. Check out this site for the listing Schaller - the only thing about it is that they do not say which ones have the bullet passage.

Oops, at the top of the page, they say that the R6 is for a new strat with the bullet. It doesn't make sense unless new strats use 1 5/8" nuts. Please check into this before buying one!