Guitar Of The Month For October

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial site's).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded to a Featured member which allows you to see the Advanced Chat section and download area.

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till sometime around the 23rd of September then this thread gets locked and the voting starts!

Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month

There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

Make sure Your Guitar has a Name or Nick Name as well otherwise one will be given to it :D

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it will be posted for you, or ask forum members how to post pictures, they are very helpful.

BLUETELEFUL TELECASTER

My first ever GOTM entry in all these years…I am very proud of this guitar!

bluetele9.jpg

It is built from a 25th anniversary squier but all the parts have been changed and the body painted a custom blue color-coded from a classic AC Cobra. I took up some of that “automotive theme” in a few subtle but I hope tasteful ways.

As well as a lot of high end parts, it has parts custom made for the project as well as a host of unique features, especially for a telecaster.

The bridge pickup surround for instance was made from aluminium sheet and given a tortoiseshell motive in racing stripes. Reminiscing auto dashes, hofner guitars and a bit of art deco in effect…kind of novo-retro!

The pickguard was slightly modified but the bridge pickup can be removed with two screws to get to the tiny circuit under there…no extra routing was required so the body is very solid.

I even made some of the electronic parts like the drive pot by surgically rebuilding it from a switchpot and the guts of a compatible 1k…

Body…solid ash…top loaded into tremolo (no string ferrules on the back)

Neck…maple on maple…tiny bit of flame in the board

Vibrato

Khaler Hybrid…A full floating tremolo with a lot of chrome and fine tuners resembling the look of the control knobs. This bridge looks and sounds great, lots of string definition with chords. The hybrid locks to a fixed bridge and has been adjusted to perfectly float at this point. Very little routing required into the top.

bluetelebridge.jpg

Locking Fender logo/Schaller tuners…staggered, means no string trees and easy string changes. The locking screws at the back recall the control knobs and fine tuners to keep the theme going.

LSR roller nut…The LSR nut provides no friction and works great…the metal finish again fits in with the metal and chrome thing too.

bluetele4.jpg

Pickups

Vintage “Fender Wide Range Humbucker”…super mojo and is such a wonderful sound.

2008 Fender SCn Neck pickup…no noise and a lot of fine detail…I like it

Controls

Volume…moved up to within easy reach and out of the way of the tremolo…very easy volume swells.

Selector…user friendly Gibson style 3 way at a 30 degree angle.

Extra Secret Sound…neck pickup phase switch by pulling up the volume control…on this guitar gives a strat-like quack with both pickups selected, very funky.

Tone control…last control, so designed to allow the battery to be installed under it without modifying the guitar and for easy access with two screws.

Drive Control…the middle knob controls the drive of the sustainer device from subtle to full on feedback extravaganza, infinite sustain and everything between.

Harmonic switch…pull up the drive control and it automatically generates harmonics of the notes played and sustain

Sustainer on!…the small toggle between drive and tone turns on the sustainer…it is deceptive in that it will automatically bypass to the bridge pickup and is the more complex of the wiring in this guitar.

LED…a hidden blue LED lights when sustainer is on, unlike other sustainers, this guitar is passive when not in use and uses less power and functions sans sustainer without battery or if running low.

Kill Switch…A tiny almost invisible push button is located just next to the selector to give the stuttering effect so popular with the kids today!

StrapLoks…so I don’t drop it and to add more chrome!

teleblue2.jpg

Driver…The big achievement is in the new sustainer designed for it. This is wound in epoxy with no bobbins and mounts without screws to the top of the pickguard to a custom psw designed circuit under the HB. The driver is minimalist in looks and the copper coil and shiny epoxy finish matches the color of the tortoiseshell…neat!

Sound…there is no doubting this is a telecaster, the bridge pickup though has a distinctive Kerrrrannnng to it, not at all as you would expect from a conventional HB (although designed by Seth Lover) and decidedly fender. The neck pickup is a little jazzy, very detailed and a good balance with both pickups giving a pretty high output and no noise. The middle selection is similar to the neck tone but with more harmonics and the OoP switch gives a unique take on the strat like “quack” without a middle pickup.

The guitar sounds great clean, but takes distortion really well with lots of definition and cutting power and you can go beserk with the trem without any tuning problems from slack to several tones up. You can get some fun sci-fi theramin like effects with the sustainer as well as the usually metal-esque horse whinnies with the harmonic drive. :D

With the sustainer you get a whole world of new sounds. Completely controlled feedback (even through headphones), automatic picking, automatic harmonics (up to two octaves higher than the played note) more than I can mention and even more yet to be discovered. At low drive, it favours the lower strings in chords giving a nice “cloud of sound” beneath your chords…with the harmonics on, the bass notes will play an harmonic cloud that rises above the cord…lead playing, the notes fade out to a harmonic. With more drive, controlled feedback on all strings and at highest settings still, an overdrive like distortion to the notes that is touch sensitive…oh yes, and infinite sustain. The most unique aspect to the sustainers sound is the ability to do all this at any (or even no volume) and to do this clean and with control…a sound not obtainable in any other way.

My version is different again from that of the Fernandes and Sustainiac providing more range…look out for the new name for my device (five years in the making) in the near future.

Also…I hoped to have some sounds available by now…hopefully before the end of this GOTM so watch this space!

NEW ~ Now with SOUND!!!

All in all I am very happy with the way this worked out, simple control layout with very low mods and a host of unusual be user friendly features. The sustainer thing works great, but the guitar as a whole really works well in every way…dead quiet, unique but superb tones, stays in tune regardless of wammy abuse yet good for the subtle bigsby stuff…a mark of a good guitar is how much it gets played, I can’t put the thing down…what can I say, it’s Blueteleful…

….

pete :D

….

I know…verbose…but if you want more details see the thread linked below B)

Edited by psw

Ok I'll toss this one in, it took long enough to get er done

Ok

purpleheart and black walnut body

Maple neck

wenge fret board

27 3/4 scale

EMG 45 DC pickup

Hipshot string thru bridge

Some Pics of the back

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo34/RA...Rguitars011.jpg

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo34/RA...Rguitars016.jpg

RAZARguitars004.jpg

RAZARguitars005.jpg

RAZARguitars001.jpg

RAZARguitars003.jpg

Edited by !!METAL MATT!!

EDIT:

NOW WITH EMGS! 81/60 combo for real hetfield sound!

Alright, instead of giving you guys something to vote FOR, ill be the one you can vote against.

there has to be at least one of these each month, right?

"Explore the waterfall"

get it? waterfall buginga+ explorer. i know, i should be shot. please do.

A. Mahogany body and neck, duely TR, SS frets, Bloodwood FB, no face inlays, just side dots, Quilted/waterfall BUBINGA veneer on body and both headstock layers, 1 vol 1 tone, 3 way toggle,

set neck, walnut highlight in the neck joint,

Satin polyurathane finish! guitarfetish black chrome hardware all the way around.

wooo!

FinalEXP08withemgs004.jpg

FinalEXP08withemgs013.jpg

FinalEXP08withemgs015.jpg

FinalEXP08withemgs010.jpg

see whole album HERE

Edited by killemall8

Swamp ash body

Indian rosewood neck/fretboard 25.5" scale, 22 medium stainless steel frets, bolt on, neck ends in the bridge pickup cavity. Deep "C" profile. 44mm nut width.

offset mother of pearl fret markers, mother of pearl side dots.

Joe Barden bridge, Seymour Duncan Alnico II tele set, Grover heads. vintage bone nut.

Rosewood control plate. Rosewood jack surround.

Danish oil finish.

My third build in the last couple weeks since setting up my own workshop and making up a brandname. The 2012 is a reference to the end of the Mayan calendar. guitars for the apocalypse, something like that! The logo is left routed without inlay, subtle but i really like it.

The customer couldn't be happier and has assured me some sound samples in the next few days so i'll put them up when received.

gotm1.jpg

gotm2.jpg

gotm3.jpg

gotm4.jpg

Here's my latest build. It's a chambered poplar RockBeach Mantis with Strat controls and Vintage Vibe single coil pickups. They are arranged at the 3 different angles to place the poles directly under the strings and also to give it a different vibe from standard Strats. The fatter strings get progressively more quack in positions 2 and 4 on the switch. Very cool tone! The maple neck is 25.5" scale with a kingwood fingerboard and SS vintage frets. I gigged with this guitar this past weekend and it is my personal favorite to date! By the way, I just weighed it at 6.0lbs with the strap. :D

Kanji_Mantis_TJ1.jpg

Kanji_Mantis_TJ2.jpg

Kanji_Mantis_TJ3.jpg

Kanji_Mantis_TJ4.jpg

Squirrels_Victor_Sept_6th_Gig_003.jpg

Edited by Boggs

My newest creation doesn't have a name yet so I'll just get down to the specs. and let you decide on the name.

Planet waves tuners

Dr .11 strings

Stew. Mac. Hot Rod dual truss rod

roller stud mounted bridge (from Stew. Mac.)

Bigsby B-7 vibrato

Dunlop Strap-lok's

Gibson Classic '57 pick ups

Gibson 500k pots.

Switchcraft 3-way and jack

standard Les Paul wiring

Hoveland Musicaps

vintage bone nut

ebony fretboard

abalone inlays and side markers

flamed maple thru-neck construction

flamed maple hollow body wings

Fender Vintage Cream color coat (ReRanch)

white primer (ReRanch)

Deft nitrocellulose lacquer clear coat over color coat

Tru-oil for back of body and neck

rare earth magnets for holding covers on back

cream binding for covers

hand made flamed maple truss rod cover, pick-up rings, and pick guard

Of the three guitars I've made so far, this is the first neck construction I've done. I don't think I'll buy a neck again. It gives you the freedom to do what you want. I made the body end of the ebony fretboard into an open book design as is found on the top of the headstock on Les Pauls. I also used a gold trimmed garnet as the 12th. fret side dot marker instead of a double dot.

P1020502.jpg

P1020511.jpg

P1020498.jpg

P1020512.jpg

I call it the SA Auditorium.

This ones my acoustic.

Black limba back/sides

Sitka spruce top

rosewood fingerboard/binding/bridge

schaller tuners

fishman matrix electronics

"player" sound hole on the upper bout

nice and light at 4.4 pounds

It already sounds amazing and I just put strings on it a few days ago. The extra sound hole on the upper bout not only makes it sound good for the player, but it gives it a very 3D sound in front of the guitar too. If I cover it up it sounds much more muffled and sterile, but when you uncover the hole it has a really great 3D sound, almost like there is a chorus on it. It also has really good bass response. I was expecting a much brighter sound, but it sounds really balanced and is extremely loud with good bass response. It's louder and has more bass than my brothers takemine dreadnought, and of course has better more clear highs and strong mids.

917-7622.jpg

917-7603.jpg

915-7575.jpg

917-7605.jpg

Link to more pictures.

This guitar is called "classic", check my other designs at www.vc-guitars.com and you will see why.

Specs:

Body: mahogany, one piece.

Neck: cristobal, 25.5"

Fingerboard: a special part of the cristobal wood I used for the neck.

Pickups: mighty-mite motherbuckers (21k bridge, 17k neck)

Controls: volume, tone, 3 way switch.

Finish: Mate

p_Classic26.jpg

p_Classic20.jpg

p_Classic23.jpg

p_Classic30.jpg

You can check the rest of the pictures here www.vc-guitars.com

Edited by jvillavicencio

Hi,

I feel a bit cheeky putting my first real attempt up here in the comp, but here goes. I have posted a lot about this as I made it, but here's summary of what it is.

- ES335 shaped chambered body, made of New Guinea Rosewood (not a real Rosewood, but so named anyway)

- body chambered from the back and top carved and f-holed

- Queensland Maple bolt-on neck

- Indian Rosewood fingerboard

- Abalone fingerboard dots

- ply pickguard with black and white purfling as edging

- all controls mounted on the pickguard

- black side thumbwheels under bottom edge for vol and tone

- miniature slide switches, one for each pickup, so they can be switched in alone or together

- Epiphone humbuckers (for now at least)

Edit: thought I better think of a nickname, how about "Ocean Rose", or just "Rosie" for short, given most of the wood comes from down here in the Oceania region, and the body is Rosewood?

comp1.jpg

comp3.jpg

comp2.jpg

comp4.jpg