Body Contouring

Narcissism

So far, i've read about and watched a few ways to do it:

Spokeshav, which is my personal favorite

Router template, which to me looks like a circus ride

Belt Sander, which looks like it'll do a good job, but seems time consuming and doesn't really get into all those little areas

Orbital Sander, which seems to work okay

Chizel, which worked for me, but i think its kinda iffy, as much more wood can come off due to grain shape, inner faults, etc.

and

Microplane, which is the newest one i learned about just surfing around in this forum.

I'm sure there's lots of other ways, but which way do you like the most?

Belt Sander, which looks like it'll do a good job, but seems time consuming and doesn't really get into all those little areas

Chizel, which worked for me, but i think its kinda iffy, as much more wood can come off due to grain shape, inner faults, etc.

and

Microplane, which is the newest one i learned about just surfing around in this forum.

All of the above. Depends on mood and if my daugter is asleep or not. You forgot hand plane. I use a low angle block plane for thos areas where you have a consistant slope, where your arm would rest on the face. I've also used a power jointer, hand held. Takes it right off. Little noisy, but quick.

Whatever works. It's all demolition. Doesn't have to be fancy until you get close to where you want to be.

-John

and

ShopBot CNC Router. :D

and

Haas VF-3 VMC :D

and

Touche! B)

and

Touche! B)

You probably have a higher RPM spindle than I do...

and

Touche! B)

You probably have a higher RPM spindle than I do...

18,000 RPM variable

• 3 weeks later...

and

I gently move her this way and that way. I little kiss here and there helps as well :D

angle grinder

+1 to that!

I still haven't figured out how to make a traditional Gibson-style carve, but I'm getting there. The only real issue is the insane ammount of dust it throws out. I learned REAL fast to take it out into the driveway.

FWIW: I bought my 4" Ryobi angle grinder at Home Depot for $20 or $25, then the sanding disk for another $5.

• 1 month later...
I saw a while ago that someone was using a bandsaw for the belly-cut and then sanded it smooth. It looked good and easy to me.

It seems like you could mess that up very easily, for my last strat I borrowed one of these from my boss it roughed it out in 2 or 3 minutes than I just hand sanded took me maybe 15 minutes to do it http://www.mytoolstore.com/makita/gv5000.jpg. I am going to buy one of the ryobi angle grinders because there cheap, I think they would be better for carving tops, and it comes with a sanding disc in the box, the reviews are all pretty good too. I usually don't buy cheap tools but I've had a ryobi bench grinder for years and it never failed and I have one of their belt sanders which are great, the first one I got died but I brought it to home depot and got a replacement no questions asked. This is the one I'm getting http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...uctId=100596747 for $47 they send you 2 of them and my brother wanted one so I'm getting one for $23.

To make a carved top, I usually use a spokeshave, fingerplane (or something similar), chisels. and sandpaper. They have different uses. I don't think there's one proper tool for the job.

My new secret weapon is a carbide dremel shaping bit (#543).

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAnd...il.aspx?pid=543

I feel like I'm giving away some secret personal information by giving that link. Seriously, though, that is the end all be all Dremel bit for luthiers. It's made my life so much easier.

Edited by NotYou

I can't imagine carving a top or contours with that Dremel bit... That's gotta take hours!

I use a 60 grit flap disc on an angle grinder. 5 minutes tops.

It depends on what you're doing. I use it mostly for finer curves, or smaller concave parts. I'm working on a double cutaway right now and the horns are concave on top. With things like that, it's perfect.