Latest Project

Howdy All,

The lastest project is almost done. It only has two strings on it and needs lots of set up type work before it is playable. But at least the electronics work.

You can see it Here. Click on the Bigsby Tele and go to the bottom for pix. The pic at the top is a computer rendition of what my goal is.

Have fun :D,

Guitar Ed

Man- I know your pain when it comes the router stuff :D

Looks really good though, Ed. You did a great job cleaning it up and it looks like it will be a real winner.

Interesting title for your template "Bottom Master" I see that phrase used alot here in West Hollywood, but it means something....uh .........well...different B)

Guitar Ed,

I like the tele.....thinking about a tele for a future project. One question though; where did you find the short router bit? The shortest ones that I can find around here are 3/4 inch cutting length. Would like to find a 1/2 inch cutting length, 1/4 inch collet bit. I've got the bearing and collar stuff, just looking for the bit specifically for routing the pickup and neck cavities.

In the pictures on your website it seems that you have a bit that is about 1/2 inch long...maybe I looked at it wrong. What I could use a shorter bit for is to route the pickup cavities and neck pocket. I don't like to freehand with a router, so I use 1/8 inch plexiglass as a template. The template mixed with a 1 inch cutter length bit still makes the route a little too deep.

Stew Mac sells a shorter bit (for what seems to be alot of money), and was looking for a different online source.

Thanks for your time.

Hi Wes,

You noticed. Yes, it is on purpose. I did not post the pic, but if I had centered the body, there would have been a knot on the edge of the body. And it probably would have ripped out and looked yucky-poo.

Take care and good building.

Guitar Ed

tsl602000,

Thanks for the input on the Stew Mac bits. They seem a little pricey but if you say they are worth it........

I discovered that using the plexiglass worked better for templates because I had a problem with using wood. It seemed that the bearing from the pattern following bit would eat into the wood. I just print out a full size layout from Kinko's and then lay the plexiglass on top of it to mark off centerlines and whatever other reference points, then the layout of the body itself. I used the Ibanez Petrucci layout in the downloads section and ended up with a really nice and accurate body. Just haven't routed for the neck or pickups yet......gotta get that bit.

Anyway, thanks for the input.