Best/coolest Looking Wood

Does anyone know how these parts are made to fit so incredibly well together?

I've thought about that one. My only thought is to do it on a pair of templates first, then do it on the real thing. I'm going to throw out a guess that they spend dozens of hours making everything perfect.

Or they spend a lot of time on a CNC machine once, then make the same design at will.

I have always been partial to the Conklin "melted top" idea...

Does anyone know how these parts are made to fit so incredibly well together?

I have seen a technique like that used to make boxes. If I remember correctly, it's all about using templates with the right offset router bits. I will try and dig out a reference to it. I think it's another of those techniques where 90% of the effort is in the planning.

To be honest, I prefer a simpler approach, which is why I am vague on how it works. If I find the reference, I'll try to post the salient facts

Denis

Dudes...seriously...one template,stack all of the wood with the template,then rout along the template...the fit will be perfect,and you will have enough tops for two guitars,one reversed from the other.

Not quite that simple with all the curves involved, since the offset will move things around. It's almost that simple, though: one template and one router inlay kit (see routerbits.com, woodcraft, rockler, MCLS or any number of other router parts stores.)

post the maple! thats a lot of A's. That Darth Vader wood is so awesome, I'm a huge star wars fan, to bad there will never be a peice like that again!

I can't get over the goblin face from the last page, it's so subtle...... This thread is so awesome.