Biscuit Joiners

avengers63

Is there any particular reason we don't use a biscuit joiner when we're gluing up body blanks? Granted, the bodies don't really need the extra strength, but it'd certainly make the glue-up a lot easier. AND... it you're like me and only have a 13" wide planer, those extra-wide bodies (ES335-ish, firebird, explorer, etc) would be a lot easier.

Any thoughts?

True, there is nothing that says you can't. I've used 'em on two builds, the only thing is that you are creating a little cavity and filling it with essentially dust and glue instead of having solid wood. All in all though, you can do it just fine. I actually started building with only regular woodworking knowledge and so I thought you had to use biscuits. Anyway.

I don't really see any advantage to using a biscuit joiner in these cases ... I'm still going to do the same prep work I do normally, as far as getting my jointing surface square and the pieces to mate - I'm still going to clamp things the same way when I glue them together - the only thing the biscuit joining seems to add is another power tool to drag out before doing the join. It doesn't seem like body joins need any more strength.

I guess the only advantage is in lining up the pieces, but I haven't had problems with that lately, I do my glue ups on a pretty level surface, and switched to bow clamps for my clamping, which makes things easier.

And I usually wait until the body blanks are joined to surface the top and back anyway. (EDIT: just caught the bit about only having a 13" planer - didn't occur to me as I surface my blanks by hand.)

In actuality, biscuits only align, They do not add any strength to the joint. Just an FYI, so for future builds don't waste the time. Now if you are looking for strength, then use a T&G joint or at minimum a lap joint, or maybe a full length spline. or a multiple finger joint. But really with the widths of most solid bodies and the fact that we USUALLY will make the body pieces NOT using End grain then the joint, if well fitted will be stronger than the surrounding wood using a good wood glue.

Just my observations from use and also Reading many, many articles on the subject over the years. :D

MK

My main purpose in thinking about the biscuit joiner for alignment purposes. As I stated in the initial post, the wider body blanks won't fit through my planer. I'm figuring a biscuit joiner would help with keeping the face & back of the blank level. Strengthening the joint was a secondary concern.

FWIW: I'll eventually be getting one anyway for other woodworking projects. If I can make use of it here, all the better.

My main purpose in thinking about the biscuit joiner for alignment purposes. As I stated in the initial post, the wider body blanks won't fit through my planer. I'm figuring a biscuit joiner would help with keeping the face & back of the blank level. Strengthening the joint was a secondary concern.

FWIW: I'll eventually be getting one anyway for other woodworking projects. If I can make use of it here, all the better.

It will help with alignment. but maybe not as much as you hope. Just be aware of that. I haven't used my Bjoiner in years, just to much wasted time as far as my cabinet work. I use pocket hole screws now.

MK

Get a rubber mallet to line up your boards. Lots cheaper. Glue up your blanks, clamp them snug but not tight, run your figer perpendicular to the joint, if you feel a ledge, tap it with the mallet. A tap here and there and you have the problem solved.

If you have a joint that is slipping, you can rub the boards together a few times, it makes the glue tacky and less slippery.

You can also put a couple of grains of sand in the glue joint, when you clamp the boards together it will keep them from moving.

-John