Aplying Clear Over A 400 Grit Sanded?

mvotre

hi there.. im in the stage of refinishing a guitar, but as im spraying in the outside, i got some "dust" (or something like that - im not talkimg about the actual small orange peel state) on the finish. So im wet sanding this with 400 grit, just to remove those things. Should i sand all the guitar to apply clear (the sides are nice)??? and can i apply clear over the "satin" result, or should i sand it to higher grits??

Sorry if it sound confusing, but english is not my usual language, and i think i missed some important lessons down the road :D

thanks in advance

hi there.. im in the stage of refinishing a guitar, but as im spraying in the outside, i got some "dust" (or something like that - im not talkimg about the actual small orange peel state) on the finish. So im wet sanding this with 400 grit, just to remove those things. Should i sand all the guitar to apply clear (the sides are nice)??? and can i apply clear over the "satin" result, or should i sand it to higher grits??

Sorry if it sound confusing, but english is not my usual language, and i think i missed some important lessons down the road :D

thanks in advance

wet sanding to 400 all over then clear is fine. Just make sure you clean the residue of the wet sand off very well. Any small depressions or grain not filled completely, may fill with the residue and look white under the clear coat.

Good Luck :D

MK

thanks in advance

Out of habit I tend to wet sand the whole of a guitar body so that the whole surface of the guitar is uniform before applying successive coats of lacquer, as I find the lacquer always goes on more smoothly over the whole surface, but, that could easily just be me going over the top.

Again, I'd also tend to wet sand to 800 or 1000 grit before applying a second coat of lacquer, but that's not to say that that's 'the' only or necessarily the best way to do it :D

Jim

Edited by Foggy