Where Do You Buy Your Guitar Woods?

Where is your area? I thought for the longest time my only choices were going to be Woodcraft and the internet. But then after some research I found a number of decent lumber mills. Try this website, just enter your zip code, and the species you are looking for, but omitting the species will get you more results, but they won't all have what you want.

http://www.woodfinder.com/

I've purchased quite a bit from gilmer, but I've found tons of sources for great acoustic wood, even some here in the forum.

I always keep a look out for a really nice old hardwood toilet seat because I think that would be a cool thing to make a guitar out of! :D

I've found flamed and dense 'heartwood' redwood at my local home depot for normal prices. Of course, I spent time searching through piles of ordinary lumber. I've also found beautiful poplar, which makes nice body wood. OK, so I've made a neck or two out of it also :D Also, looking through the stacks of poplar (or whatever) for stiff, 'ringy' pieces with good cut is good practice because it, like any kind of wood, varies a lot.

Dallas-Ft Worth Area:

Bluelinx Hardwood - off Royal Lane west of 35. Used to be called Austin Hardwood. I have bought a considerable amount of lumber from those guys. They are nice and unless they are busy will move palletts around so you can pick the choice pieces.

Dallas Hardwood - further south, off of Walnut Hill west of 35. I haven' bought much from them in a while. Last time we went down there on a Saturday they were moving the business to a new location down the street. They have the mcahinery to do milling services if you need.

Woodworld - Richardson, near TI on 75. A little more expensive than the above because of a lower volume. The quality is hit and miss but they do carry some exotic/figured stuff in 1/4" thickness (for bookmatched tops).