Tom & Wraparound Bridge Questions - Fretboard Radius?

Azrael

I've been looking at different style bridges, mostly interested in a Leo Quan Bad Ass wraparound bridge, or in some sort of Tune-O-Matic bridge.

A couple of questions:

1 - It would be optimal to have a bridge that matched the fretboard radius as much as possible, right? Interestingly enough, Gibsons usually have a fretboard radius of around 10", but have a TOM with a 12" radius.

2 - If I did want to match the bridge radius to the fretboard radius, how would I do it for a fretboard with a compound radius, like on Warmoth's guitars? Say it was a 10" to 16" radius. How would that work?

3 - Are there any Bad Ass or TOM style bridges that have an adjustable radius, like on Strat bridges?

thanks!

well first off, im pretty sure gibsons radii are 12"

but about the compound radius. i dont think it matters as much as people think it does. but if you want to get it closer, the best thing i could think of would have the nut slotted to match the 10" radius, that way the strings are better suited to 10" there.

and the end, i dont think there would be a problem.

Most of the TOM bridges need to have a slot filed in for the string anyway, so you can adjust the radius buy how deep you file the grooves. But if you go more than half the diameter of the string it is a good idea to file a little off the top of the saddles. But I would only recomend this for minor change, 12" to 10" or 14" should be a problem, 10" or 16" might be okay. Going to a 7.25 would probably be too much.

^Yeah, I've filed the saddle's slot before, but was just hoping someone out there had made one with adjust saddle heights.

well first off, im pretty sure gibsons radii are 12"

but about the compound radius. i dont think it matters as much as people think it does. but if you want to get it closer, the best thing i could think of would have the nut slotted to match the 10" radius, that way the strings are better suited to 10" there.

and the end, i dont think there would be a problem.

Gibsons are known to have both 10" and 12" freboard radii. Just depends.

The idea of slotting nut for the top of the fretboard sounds good. Makes sense. :D

2 - If I did want to match the bridge radius to the fretboard radius, how would I do it for a fretboard with a compound radius, like on Warmoth's guitars? Say it was a 10" to 16" radius. How would that work?

match the bridge to the body end radii, the compound radii continues to flatten beyond the end of the fretboard so slightly flatter radius will result at the bridge.

3 - Are there any Bad Ass or TOM style bridges that have an adjustable radius, like on Strat bridges?

stewmac have one.

no thats not one.

I thought they had one but i cant find it now, maybe i got mixed up with my local store www.guitarparts.co.nz which has them, theres bound to be other suppliers, I think guitarparts.co.nz source a lot from allparts.

I emailed them yesterday, no response yet. Hoping it happens before tomorrow,

I just have a feeling you're overthinking this. Between the existing radius of the bridge and the play provided by the saddle slots, there's no reason why you should have problems.

I did notice that some of the TOM bridges had a 14" radius, which would make more sense for a guitar with a compound fretboard moving toward a 16" radius. The nut slot depths will accommodate for that end of the fretboard (i.e., 10 or 12").