Plastic Position Marker Rods

I'd imagine you'd want to start looking for plastic rod at model-makers suppliers, or perhaps something like McMaster-Carr? Just a thought.

I feel like I saw something akin to what you're looking for at my local hobby shop.

Your searching might be better spent on thinking of ways to make plug cutters so you can just cut dots out of all kinds of plastic. I was doing this in my early 20's, so I think it's one of the easier tasks involved with guitar making.

Then again, I suppose if I had a lathe, I might try turing chunks of plastic into rods instead of messing with plug cutters.

Now I remember I once went to a plastics company and asked for black a white solid plastic rods and they said they only had clear or whitish clear nylon.

Your searching might be better spent on thinking of ways to make plug cutters so you can just cut dots out of all kinds of plastic. I was doing this in my early 20's, so I think it's one of the easier tasks involved with guitar making.

Then again, I suppose if I had a lathe, I might try turing chunks of plastic into rods instead of messing with plug cutters.

Now I remember I once went to a plastics company and asked for black a white solid plastic rods and they said they only had clear or whitish clear nylon.

Good idea on the lathe I have one so I might try that.

Well, heck, if it's a metal working lathe, you can also make the best kind of plug cutters.

No it's just a wood one but I could make some wood ones maybe but the fretboard won't be finished, maybe if I find some wood that contrasts it that doesn't have to be finished, something like ebony with maple dots. I'm looking at model shops and stuff online though.

Years ago I bought some white 1/4" plastic knitting needles and cut them into little pieces for face markers. I still have enough to last for a long long time yet. On recent builds I have used the sparkley silver 1/4"mm self adhesive sequins that you can buy from a craft shop, drill a shallow hole and set them in resin. They look really cool and sparkle as they catch the light.

I have also found very small plastic crotchet needles that I have used for side markers as well.

When I'm looking for ornamental stuff for guitars a craft shop is the first place I look at.

Edited by Acousticraft

Dude...I bought dowel rods from woodcraft a while back to use as plugs...they come in 1/4" 3/8" etc....

They are available in many woods

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=667

that's what I was thinking, but I'm a little worried because all those woods need a finish and the fretboard isn't finished. I might get some wood that doesn't need a finish and contrasts whatever fingerboard I'm using and turn it into a dowel on my lathe though. My favorite fingerboard is ebony than rosewood than maple. Maple would look great with ebony dots but I'm not sure if ebony takes a finish and the only time I'd be doing maple is for a guitar I'm building for someone else and it's all up to them and what there willing to pay.