Death Magnetic

Muzz

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ah, whyd you have to bring it up?

i love metallica so much. i love the album. its amazing. but i wish you diddnt post this. now wes and 99 percent of the forum is going to come post how they think they are sell outs and how the new album shouldnt be at #1, and crap like that.

you asked for it. :D

this has to be the most anti metallica place i have ever seen.

now wes and 99 percent of the forum is going to come post how they think they are sell outs and how the new album shouldnt be at #1, and crap like that.

you asked for it. ;)

Don't worry if anyone says anything like that I will give them the stern and dissaproving emoticon B)

If you took the distortion and lyrics off and add gobs of reverb...it would make killer surf music B)

:D I might try that myself :D

It is not, I still listen to everything before the Black Album. I even like some songs on the other albums, and I have a remastered copy of Some Kind of Monster that kicks ass, minus the solos, if they have added solos it would had been awesome! This new one is a lot better than St Anger musically, but I think that James sounds out of place on most of the new songs. Like he lost the touch! He has gotten to musical for this kind of music, he needs to re think the approach he is taking, because it sucks.

Metallica DID sell out...the only people who refuse to admit this were not fans in the 80s...

If you were a fan of the old Metallica..(pre-black album),then you were sorely dissapointed at everything from 1990 on...

They are so lame...it is as "bubble gum" as music can get...it is NOT metal anymore,and lyrically it is childish to the nth degree...

Listen to the lyrics from "justice" on back to "Lightning"...nothing about a gowddam sandman there,is there"

"wish I may wish I might" wake up and all of this is some sort of long drawn out JOKE is what I wish...

I f you want to say they are a good rock band...then fine...I can let that be...they are NOT metal any longer...and calling them metal is an insult to true metal...

Want to hear a great new metal album?listen to Meshuggah's "Obzen"...or Exodus "atrocity exhibition"...then you will easily see why anyone calling Metallica "metal" just plain old does not know metal at all...

Kirk Hammetts solos on the new album are sloppy and trite..

I am listening to "all nightmare long" right now...and yes,it starts out allright...decent...only a little lame...but then Hetfield kills it with his vocals...what the hell?

Just so you know...I am not "anti-metallica" either...I just don't like any of the new stuff...it is a dissapointment...if they were to ever put out a true metallicaalbum,I would buy it and I would be on here yelling from the mountaintops about how great it is...

They WERE my favorite band,you see...back in the 80s....it's like when the prettiest girl in school gets fat and ugly after school...

then years later she loses a bit of weight and almost looks presentable...but it isn't the same..

I just perused through all of the songs on "youtube"( fascinating that you can listen to an entire album so easily without buying it these days"

To be fair,I will withdraw my hatred of everything except the vocals...the vocals are horrible...

And the entire song "the day that never comes" is infantile...

But for the most part,the guitar,drums,and bass is almost presentable...which is a big leap for those guys...

Happy?

It should not be the #1 seller though...that says alot about the world...

^ I think you need to take a chill pill :D lol

I like the new album, its good, but I do agree the vocals suck! They arnt aggressive enough, its the only thing holding the album back IMO its like he doesnt want to blow his voice or something, there are times when he gets it right but most of the time hes just singing and I dont like it. There is also a big hoo har about the sound quality of the album, which should probably be fixed or haters will go on about it forever as with St Anger

I dont think you can say 'their not metal any more' their **** albums aside, they still wrote 4 very good metal albums in the 80s, and they will always be the composers of those albums, and they will always play those songs live, so how can they not be metal any more? Its not like they've disowned their best material to star on pop idol is it.

Blegh. Awful. The thrash sound and pacing is there, but it's all empty underneath! It's like pop-punk compared to 70s/80s British punk, as that had some motivation and fire behind the music. This album has no reason for being as the politics and social climate that fired 80s thrash/speed have changed underneath it all.

The Day That Never Comes starts out with a HIM-esque clean/fuzzy guitar thing that is sole property of HIM - what they do they do very well, and it's been blatantly copied. The first solo is a rehash of the first solo from Fade To Black. Then Load is churned back up. After three minutes of this turgid rehash, the track speeds up into something resembling the drums and guitars from the "Just leave me alone!!" breakdown from Sanitarium crossed with the harmonised guitar solo from the outro of One without even sounding good, having correct placement in song structure or even touching the awesomeness of the aforementioned tracks.

Metallica have proven they are no longer capable of writing new music, and perhaps realise that their only real integrity comes from the boundaries they pushed as part of the Big Three of the 80s. Yet there will be no more Ride The Lightnings or Batterys or Blackeneds. Kirk is no longer capable of constructing solos which follow a characterful progression with melodic twists and turns over crazy hammerhand brick walls of rhythm the old Jaymz, because that old Jaymz is no longer capable of fun, fire or fury and Kirk is only good at doing what he's always done. And he's repeating it over and over again, badly. Lars is still drumming. What's up with that? Apparently they have a bassist again who is still not Cliff, or indeed Jason.

To requote Zimmers Hole "While you were shouting at the devil....we were in league with Satan":

"Bob Rock can suck a ...."

Fleming doesn't have a Metallica to work with, although he has elements of that early-mid Metallica sound back. Just add Metallica, please.

If an unknown band released this album, they would be chased down and laughed at until they died from it. I fart in this album's general direction.

Edited by Prostheta

I dont think you can say 'their not metal any more' their **** albums aside, they still wrote 4 very good metal albums in the 80s, and they will always be the composers of those albums, and they will always play those songs live, so how can they not be metal any more? Its not like they've disowned their best material to star on pop idol is it.

Well,they are either a decent hard rock band now...or a really horrible metal band...take your pick...

I think you need to take a chill pill wink.gif lol

No argument here...My biggest problem is being to aggressive about everything...but rest assured,I love you all...I am in your attic right now in fact...waiting for you to go to sleep so I can sneak in to your bedroom and rub your feet...

Hear that faint tapping...?that's me...

The Day That Never Comes starts out with a HIM-esque clean/fuzzy guitar thing that is sole property of HIM - what they do they do very well, and it's been blatantly copied. The first solo is a rehash of the first solo from Fade To Black. Then Load is churned back up. After three minutes of this turgid rehash, the track speeds up into something resembling the drums and guitars from the "Just leave me alone!!" breakdown from Sanitarium crossed with the harmonised guitar solo from the outro of One without even sounding good, having correct placement in song structure or even touching the awesomeness of the aforementioned tracks.

Dude...I am amazed...aside from the "Him" thing (nevr heard them)I came to the same conclusion upon hearing it on the radio...but I don't even know how to explain the horror of that "One-esque" breakdown right before the goofy little "tinka tinka tika tinka tinka tinka too" riff right there before the end...

If an unknown band released this album, they would be chased down and laughed at until they died from it.

No doubt..

really, james has said that even when they got to the justice album, theyre goal was to break away from the thrash genre.

No...he said they were going to move away from stereotypical thrash and try to be completely original in a whole new way...and he was talking about ajfa...which WAS original and new...THAT would have been a good style to stick with..

come on...harvester of sorrow and frayed ends of sanity were awesome...

how do you expect someone to sing the way they did when they were 19 a whole 26 years later? who can do anything like that the same as they did when they were 19?

Not "the same"....just "as aggressive" would be nice...and he changed his voice on purpose...not from age...ajfa and the black album were only a few years apart...

Who? you ask....Exodus,Slayer,testament,obituary,morbid angel,deicide,kreator,megadeth...should I go on?

Cyanide reminds me mostly of load/reload

and the 'this i swear' bit sounds really suddent and out of place in the day that never comes

and although they have a new bassist who has apparently contributed a lot, we see barely anything of him except that one riff in cyanide, hes pretty much pointless to this record.

But we can rip this apart all day, I mean the fact Metallica are who they are will always mean that people speak negatively of them and judge their records, going over them with the finest of tooth combs so much more than any new artist is scrutinized today, and that bugs me.

AJFA will always be my favourite record, the riffs, arrangement and progressive nature of that album is just mindblowing.

Megadeth's not the same now as on firts four albums. But still Dave kicks ass.

Back to the topic - I'm not a fan of Metallica. Well, I liked Master of Puppets, heard Kill'em All four or five times, almost whole Black Album (casette with "limited" 8 songs or something), but I don't consider myself as a fan. And after hearing fragments of Death Magnetic, I can say that it's not Metallica anymore. I couldn't "feel" them in these short samples. The only thing that told me that it IS Metallica was Hettfield's voice (which did not sound as it used to be).

That's all I've wanted to say.

The new tune that plays on the radio is mediocre at best. Starts out lame, the singing is formulaic and when they kick in with the heavier part, it is completely un-original. The guitar solo is one of the most un-inspired solos from Kirk yet. Sorry, but I won't be buying the album anytime soon.

I still listen to Ride the lighning, Master of puppets and the black album though. Never liked the production on Justice but they were doing a lot of experimenting on that album.

The new tune sounds like they're trying too hard to regain their status as a metal band.

Edited by guitar2005

Pretty sure I heard a new tune of theirs on the radio not long ago and I thought, if you're young and naive, it'll do just fine for you, I guess. I don't like the old stuff much anymore either. Certainly the kind of band I grew out of liking.

Kirk's solos have almost always sounded to me like cocaine playing a guitar. As if some kind of life is missing there.

Obviously I'm in the minority, because they came on the scene in the 80's as a hardcore thrash band (I still have an Issue of BAM magazine, with them on the cover (Including Cliff), with the writing " Metallica : Top 40 that Radio won't touch". ) And today, they still play in stadiums. Look where 80's bands like Dokken play these days (little crap-ass clubs)

Hard to believe i used to think of them as "Local band" (when I lived in Frisco). lame to say, but I had a friend, who was a friend of Cliff's brother (ooo whoopdeedoo !) haha.

"The day that never comes" is easily the worst song on the album...As to why that is the one that gets sent to the radio stations...well,I have to say it's because Metallica is still selling out...sending out the most infantile song to get the 12-16 year olds to buy the album...

If you don't know..12-16 is the age group that buys the most music...when a band sells out,that is who they target...that group grows up and still buys everything new from them because of fond childhood memories...and every album targets the new group of 12-16 year olds...

One new album every 4-6 years...oh..You thought that was a coincidence?just like the "going back to our roots" motto every time is coincidence?they found what sells,and they stick to it.

Sad part is that the black album sold very well...because the old fans like me bought it on day one without hearing it first...they could have stayed true to their fans and sold almost as many of every album...now wouldn't THAT have been an accomplishment...

But I must say some of the riffs on the new album are pretty cool...though simple in comparison to the old stuff...

Oh well..there is always Exodus...