Death Magnetic

Muzz

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh, I was introduced to the new "album" whilst driving through Finland and heard it on "Rrradio Rrrrock!!!". I tend to dissect things as I listen to them out of boredom and self-righteousness. Turns out that despite me not even knowing Metallica were due to release a new turd into my ears, I guessed who it was as soon as I heard James (not Jaymz) whining (not venting). Up till that point I picked on the HIM styles, and then afterwards just cringed at the badly-recycled classic Metallica styles.

Blegh. Awful. The thrash sound and pacing is there, but it's all empty underneath! It's like pop-punk compared to 70s/80s British punk, as that had some motivation and fire behind the music. This album has no reason for being as the politics and social climate that fired 80s thrash/speed have changed underneath it all.

The Day That Never Comes starts out with a HIM-esque clean/fuzzy guitar thing that is sole property of HIM - what they do they do very well, and it's been blatantly copied. The first solo is a rehash of the first solo from Fade To Black. Then Load is churned back up. After three minutes of this turgid rehash, the track speeds up into something resembling the drums and guitars from the "Just leave me alone!!" breakdown from Sanitarium crossed with the harmonised guitar solo from the outro of One without even sounding good, having correct placement in song structure or even touching the awesomeness of the aforementioned tracks.

Metallica have proven they are no longer capable of writing new music, and perhaps realise that their only real integrity comes from the boundaries they pushed as part of the Big Three of the 80s. Yet there will be no more Ride The Lightnings or Batterys or Blackeneds. Kirk is no longer capable of constructing solos which follow a characterful progression with melodic twists and turns over crazy hammerhand brick walls of rhythm the old Jaymz, because that old Jaymz is no longer capable of fun, fire or fury and Kirk is only good at doing what he's always done. And he's repeating it over and over again, badly. Lars is still drumming. What's up with that? Apparently they have a bassist again who is still not Cliff, or indeed Jason.

To requote Zimmers Hole "While you were shouting at the devil....we were in league with Satan":

"Bob Rock can suck a ...."

Fleming doesn't have a Metallica to work with, although he has elements of that early-mid Metallica sound back. Just add Metallica, please.

If an unknown band released this album, they would be chased down and laughed at until they died from it. I fart in this album's general direction.

Amen!

I heard some songs of this album while shuffling through the CDs in the shop today, and I changed my mind a little bit. Some of the riffs there are really good, but overall it sounds sloppy.

Megadeth technically did progress, but musically they've regressed a bit. Nowadays they play a lot unison (or octave lower - bass guitars) stuff. I didnt notice this while listening to Killing Is My Bussiness...

Yeah some bands do fall into a comfortable formula after a while, and when a band is all playing the same thing for the whole song it gets boring. I love counterpoint melodies, I'll see if I can find a good guitar rock example.

And because this is players corner not just critics corner I'd love to hear some more of the forum's members' guitar playing, so this is a call out to all the members, show us how it should be done and post some riffage :D.

Muzz...Nobody is going to post "some riffage" just to prove to you they are "good enough to critisize" your pet band,that's for sure...

I write alot of stuff that is more complex than anything they have done since AJFA,but I ain't going to rush in and record it just so you can try to pick it apart...you post your music,then we'll see if YOU are good enough to "like" the new album,how about that?

I listened to that entire album by the way...I heard nothinng that I can not play with zero practice...it is VERY simplistic...take it from a guy who has been a huge fan of metal(thrash in particular)since 1985...

Some of their riffs do sound good though...ALMOST good enough...like a really flirty girl when what you want is a really easy one...

Hey Wes, I am shocked :D I thought we understood each other a bit better. I just like to hear people play, I don't care whether they are 'good' or not, it just gives me an insight into their musical influences. A way that humans can swap artistic expression across the globe. I have never picked on someone elses' playing, the thought of it kinda creeps me out. I would offer advice if I was asked for it, but I am very positive with my tips.

I do like Metallica but they would be about no 30 on my list of pet bands, my top four are Grinspoon, LA Guns, Kiss (first 4 albums and last album and Backyard Babies. I like your analogies but what is wrong with flirty girls? With a bit of skill they always transform into the second kind :D

Edited by Muzz

Hey Wes, I am shocked blink.gif I thought we understood each other a bit better. I just like to hear people play, I don't care whether they are 'good' or not, it just gives me an insight into their musical influences. A way that humans can swap artistic expression across the globe. I have never picked on someone elses' playing, the thought of it kinda creeps me out. I would offer advice if I was asked for it, but I am very positive with my tips.

If that is truly the case,you should start another topic for it,don't you think?I for one would not want my music in a Metallica topic...

But I was warned a long time ago about posting to much music on the net...occasional riffs are okay,but a full song may get stolen...plus I posted some very smooth leads a while back,and I was lambasted by someone who only listened to one(from war ensemble...and it was exactly as Slayer wrote it...he just did not understand slayer leads),and then after he bothered to listen to the others,he said I used too much reverb...I guess that was all he could get me on..

He WAS right about the reverb though...I was still figuring out that reverb sounds alot deeper on a recording than it does live...

Understand?I don't understand anything...ask my ex.

hehehehe...

When all the people who like a band can play better than them, the music industry collapses...like the USA economy...oppps, wrong soap box!

he bothered to listen to the others,he said I used too much reverb...I guess that was all he could get me on..

As I mentioned earlier...a lot of this material would make great surf tracks (no vocals required wes) and no one would accuse Dick Dale of using too much reverb...I see a new career for you wes...bikini clad surf chicks fresh out of the water can be just as good a groupie as a goth...and they can come out in the daylight as a bonus!

I can't sing at all...I mean I sound really,really bad...

Does that mean I have to like Jame's screeching,because he sounds slightly better than me?

Wes- explain this to me:

-you heavily criticise James Hetfield's singing (which I agree has seriously degraded)

-I'm pretty sure I've read a few times that you like megadeth, but I have not once heard you criticise Dave Mustaine's vocals...

:D

Perhaps years of playing loud metal have damaged your high frequency hearing so much that Mustaine's horrible squealy voice becomes tolerable :D

My opinion of the new album is that its not in anyway terrible, but nor is it anything remarkable in any way. Its just derivative and not innovative.... it sounds almost like someone trying to write something in the style of late 80s Metallica, and getting it pretty close but not quite nailing it.

Still... its probably better than anything else they have released since the black album. (I quite liked the black album. Bite me.)

Perhaps years of playing loud metal have damaged your high frequency hearing so much that Mustaine's horrible squealy voice becomes tolerable

Actually,a sarcastic voice such as Mustaine's fits his style of political metal quite well...If you don't get that,then I am sorry for you.. B)

It's not about singing quality,dude...I thought everyone knew that...it's about how well the vocals apply to the music you are making...look at hendrix...look at Motorhead...ac/dc...I think I make my point..

See..you thought you had me nailed...but you got NOTHING!

(I quite liked the black album. Bite me.)

Then you suck...so bite my pillow,bi**h.. B):D :D

(that was a joke...no offense meant..I should not have to say that,but I will anyway)

Actually,a sarcastic voice such as Mustaine's fits his style of political metal quite well...If you don't get that,then I am sorry for you.. :D

It's not about singing quality,dude...I thought everyone knew that...it's about how well the vocals apply to the music you are making...look at hendrix...look at Motorhead...ac/dc...I think I make my point..

I dont particularly like ac/dc's vocalist...

Feel sorry for me then :D. Megadeth have some great guitar riffs and solos, and his voice is tolerable on many songs, but there's some I can barely listen to because I tire of his vocals so quickly.

See..you thought you had me nailed...but you got NOTHING!

I'm not trying to 'nail' you, it just seemed odd to me that you could actually like Mustaine's vocals B)

(I quite liked the black album. Bite me.)

Then you suck...so bite my pillow,bi**h..

(that was a joke...no offense meant..I should not have to say that,but I will anyway)

Don't worry B)

I'm not easily offended and I've read enough of your posts here to know that you were joking...

Its probably because it was the first metallica album I heard, so it didnt seem a dissapointment compared to their earlier stuff. I do agree that everything pre-black album is superior though.

I'm not trying to 'nail' you

Don't lie..."everybody wants a piece of the Wes-meister!"

it just seemed odd to me that you could actually like Mustaine's vocals

You are telling me you prefer Hetfield's "new" voice?You must be drunk.

But so you know,I don't like all of Megadeth's album...I think the strong ones are,in order Killing is my business,Peace Sells,cryptic writings,and The System has Failed..

The rest are weak,with only a handful of good songs(Like Holy Wars) between them...

I think Hetfield's doing well for having blown out his vocals. At least he doesn't sound like the singer of Biohazard. Granted Hetfield's voice will never ever sound the same again, i think he got close in Death Magnetic, and that's about as close as it'll get. I think this album is a pleasant surprise considering the last three studio albums that were put out.

I don't like Mustaine's vocals though. He sounds like me when i try to sing lol

it just seemed odd to me that you could actually like Mustaine's vocals

You are telling me you prefer Hetfield's "new" voice?You must be drunk.

I dunno... In terms of the actualy quality of the vocals I dont think there's much in it, however Hetfield's new voice is perhaps worse to listen to because its so disappointing when compared to his old voice.

I expect Mustaine to sound like a nasal, whining 11 year old eunuch doing his best to sound angry and sinister :D but I expect better from Hetfield, and it just sounds wrong.

But so you know,I don't like all of Megadeth's album...I think the strong ones are,in order Killing is my business,Peace Sells,cryptic writings,and The System has Failed..

The rest are weak,with only a handful of good songs(Like Holy Wars) between them...

Ok. I only own 'Peace sells' and 'Rust in Peace'. I'm no megadeth expert by any means, my opinions just based on what I've heard.

Holy wars is the only song I can listen to without the vocals making me cringe at least slightly :D

Some great riffs though.