Stew Mac Hotrod Router Bit

I use their truss rods because that's what I'm used to using but I've had one break on me before stewmac sent me replacement parts because I had already removed the fingerboard if I hadn't they would have sent me their truss rod fixer kit (which is more than $200 I think). I use a 1/4" bit that has been sharpened a few times and it fits perfect but I got lucky otherwise I would have had to buy another bit. If I were you I might try looking into other truss rods I've heard some other people say they weren't good too

I've installed a few and bought the 7/32" bit from elsewhere, I think I've used 1/4" bit as well, no biggie. All my trussrods are sealed in with latex caulking, stuff sticks like sh*t to a blanket and prevents rattling. I don't like to use silly-cone based caulking/sealants etc. because of potential contamination. Get ANY of that stuff on your bare wood and no paint will stick.

I've reconsidered my usage of the "Hotrod Bi-flex, dual action truss rod" and can't seem to justify the expense (ya, I'm a cheap bastard :D ) Basically, idiot proof, keep it slack and just plunk it in, no anchoring needed. But I got to thinking and realized that the last time I even came across a guitar neck that was backbowed enough to warrant a dual action truss rod was 15 years ago! And I've setup and repaired more guitars than I can remember in that time. Anyway, I'm building my own single action truss rods from now on, cost is about 3 bucks for half a dozen (SERIOUSLY). If you can build a guitar right then it should be that simple. :D

Edited by Southpa

I've decided to get the bit, but not through stew-mac. I have a neighbor that sells into the furniture making industry and can get it for me much cheaper. I appreciate the input. I kind of didn't expect the different opinions. Personally, I just don't want to go to all the work I have to get a truss rod rattling in there and it is so hard to fix.

You can also check out Routerbits.com or mlcswoodworking.com for that bit. Its the 7/32" spiral bit. MLCS suggests using Downcut spirals for handheld routing and upcut for tables, just a recommendation. MLCS is a bit cheaper at $14 for the bit and they have free shipping in the contiguous US. Router bits.com is $16 plus about another $6 for shipping. I bought a number of bits MLCS and they've all done me very well, nice and sharp and haven't dulled at all, plus they have loads of interesting bits like the triple wings and so on. Their new horizontal router table is quite interesting too, would be invaluable for certain woodworking jobs.

As for the stewmac rods, I used my 7/32" downcut bit and couldn't get my hotrod in, I had to widen it around both nuts on the rod, then even had to widen it a smidge more when I wrapped it. I think I just got an odd ball one that wasn't exact though, in my case a 1/4" would have actually been preferred, but I'd still have started with the 7/32" to be sure it was snug. Next I'm going to try the new truss rods from Allied Luthierie, heard great things about them. Best of luck. J

Edited by jmrentis