Making Pup Rings

Maybe for strength purposes as the if the grain is going vertical across the pickup it would be weaker than horizontal, more prone to breakage. Thats my guess anyway. If there is a concern about strength you could always just use a veneer across the top to give you the look you want without any concern. I think I've seen Myka do something of this nature, but I'm not certain. Best of luck to you, nice wooden pup rings always look nice!! J

Edited by jmrentis

Sligthly off topic, but I read a thread on a bass forum where the maker of wood covers said they sound warmer. Anyone have thought on that? I've been thinking about making some myself every time I eye my scraps.

largely balony if thats what they said! the wood will not change the magentic field

the only difference i can see/hear is that a wood cover may prevent you getting a pickup closer to the strings if its been over built.

if you want the grain on a pickup ring following the grain of the body then you need to make the ring the normal way, with the grain going the length of the ring for strength - then add a veneer to the top going the way you want for aesthetics

Sligthly off topic, but I read a thread on a bass forum where the maker of wood covers said they sound warmer. Anyone have thought on that? I've been thinking about making some myself every time I eye my scraps.

"Warmer than what?" is the question. If it's changing something essential to the sound of the instrument then perhaps, but wooden pickup rings won't contribute or even modify the sound of the instrument. The most a metal pup ring can do in this regard is (as mentioned) alter the magnetic field of the pickups, whereas a wooden one won't. Pup rings aren't known for their innate resonant acoustic properties :-D