switching my tremolo

i have an ibabnez RG body with the HSS setup... soon to be HH. i bought this without the tremolo fro my project and i was wondering whether my only option is to buy another ibanez tremelo, or whether there are other tremelos made by different brand name companies that will be compatable. prefereable in smoked chrome... as that is my hardware theme. also i will not be sacrificing too much sustain with a tremelo bridge will i? if that is so, i was also considering a string-through hardtail... is there much difference in sustain?

Concerning sustain: Surely the floyd will reduce the sustain of the guitar. A hardtail is the best solution in order to maximize sustain. I love tremolos however and wouldn't want to play a guitar without one. I cannot unserstand all this sustain talk anyway. I have yet to hear a player who really uses the sustain of his guitar to the max. At least in the music I play I usually dont need half the sustain which would be possible with my trem equipped guitar. When do you play that 60 sec note? Is it worth to sacrifice the tremolo for it? I dont think so....I have yet to see a good guitar with has such a short sustain that I consider it unusable. And I play every style from jazz to metal.

The trem routes shown here at projectguitar are a good starting place. I'm pretty sure that the OFR and Schaller FR are compatible except for the block that the springs attach to. The Schaller has a much longer block than the Ibanez trems. You can buy a shorter block from AllParts or try to re-fit an existing one if you want.

On the personal preference side of things, I prefer the trem to a hard tail. I'd rather give up whatever sustain is lost to gain the expression I get from the trem. It's purely personal preference though.

you should also try and find out what the model number for your body is - i think x60 because of the HSS but the first number would tell you which trem it had. Ibanez makes more than one floyd, the TRS and the Edge are two them (the edge is better). if your body is routed for a TRS, then you could drop in a TRS, an OFR or Floyd Rose Pro, or you would have to route out for the edge.

Concerning sustain: Surely the floyd will reduce the sustain of the guitar. A hardtail is the best solution in order to maximize sustain. I love tremolos however and wouldn't want to play a guitar without one. I cannot unserstand all this sustain talk anyway. I have yet to hear a player who really uses the sustain of his guitar to the max. At least in the music I play I usually dont need half the sustain which would be possible with my trem equipped guitar. When do you play that 60 sec note? Is it worth to sacrifice the tremolo for it? I dont think so....I have yet to see a good guitar with has such a short sustain that I consider it unusable. And I play every style from  jazz to metal.

Yeah, I agree!

"Sustain" is one of those over-emphasized guitarisms - even Nigel Tufnel from Spinal Tap talks about it :D

All solidbodies inherently have a lot of sustain. The important word is tone

my take is to flush mount a original floyd. you can only go down with the trem, but it has sustain, and expression. this is the only way to go for me, i have a jem that has the routed area, and i never go up with the trem, however on my anderson the floyd is flush mounted, and i also have an EVH d-tuna on it for instant drop d. it's tits man, you should look into it.

IMO the original floyd is the best looking, and user friendly trem, and it is soo easy to install/ retrofit.-