New Jackson Rr24 Refinish Soon To Begin W/ A Few Modifications

guitardeam0n

Friend told me about it months ago and I finally had cash laying around to get it so I did. Here it is-

DSC01010.jpg

DSC01003.jpg

Here's what's blem'd on it-

DSC00992.jpg

DSC00993.jpg

It was obviously dropped. There's also this hair line crack that goes across the the top fin. I couldn't photo it on the black (auto zoom on camera wouldn't let me focus on it) But I go this-

DSC00995.jpg

I'm assuming the shock from the drop bent/flex'd the wood slightly, making the paint to crack. I guess I'll find out what happened structurally when the paint comes off.

800 bucks off :D: I could probably flip it on ebay and make some profit off it but I really like the way it plays and have been thinking about a custom finish, 24 fret, floyd, single humbucker RR for YEARS. Might as well make it happen.

I'm going to go the paint stripper method but I have a few questions namely around the fretboard/binding.

It has black binding but I'm not sure if the paint goes over the binding.

DSC00998.jpg

Should I strip it as close as I can do the binding then use some sand paper? I don't want the stripper to loosen the binding or something.

Another idea is to remove some wood on closer to the upper frets to make access a bit easier. Not quite a cut out but just some off the backside. Possibly scalloping the last 4 frets as well (20-24) but I'm afraid it would break the binding (I did it on a cheaper guitar once and that's what happened but I think I went to deep)

DSC01007.jpg

As far as the refinish idea I've been thinking about a natural flame top w/ blackhardware.

Sorta like these-

jackson%20usa%202008%20custom%20shop%20select%20rr-1%20rhoads%20natural%20left%20handed%206-str1ing%20electric%20guitar%20copy.jpg

2911107a.jpg

Or I can do a nice flame top like these-

150cdce.jpg

http://img1.hugeup.com/f/09302008/8817147e8a3a.jpg

http://img1.hugeup.com/f/09302008/02fdb9.JPG

But might be too fancy for an every day, gigging metal guitar.

First question, do you have any experience refinishing or with custom painting? If you have any though about reselling this, going the cheap route with normal rattle cans will destroy any value it has. If you have to use spray cans, spend the extra money and get the Killer Cans from Alsa corp, they are at least auto 2-part poly. Refinishing it is probably going to kill any value it has. Even with the broken tip, it will still command a nice price tag, the rest of that thing is cherry. Scalloping will definitely hurt any resale value, as will removing any material off the back.

Paint stripper will definitely eat the binding. To get the heavy poly's they use these days, the harsh chemicals will go right through the binding.

My personal opinion would be to apply some lacquer to the exposed wood, to seal it off and to help hold the paint chips from getting any worse. But other than that I would leave it as is. Look at any pointed vee that is gigged with. The wing tips are always missing paint or wood. I would just leave it as is, since it will more than likely end up like that even with a refinish.

First question, do you have any experience refinishing or with custom painting? If you have any though about reselling this, going the cheap route with normal rattle cans will destroy any value it has. If you have to use spray cans, spend the extra money and get the Killer Cans from Alsa corp, they are at least auto 2-part poly. Refinishing it is probably going to kill any value it has. Even with the broken tip, it will still command a nice price tag, the rest of that thing is cherry. Scalloping will definitely hurt any resale value, as will removing any material off the back.

Paint stripper will definitely eat the binding. To get the heavy poly's they use these days, the harsh chemicals will go right through the binding.

My personal opinion would be to apply some lacquer to the exposed wood, to seal it off and to help hold the paint chips from getting any worse. But other than that I would leave it as is. Look at any pointed vee that is gigged with. The wing tips are always missing paint or wood. I would just leave it as is, since it will more than likely end up like that even with a refinish.

I did a few cheap guitars years back.

And I've never sold a guitar before so I plan to keep this one for years and it will be my main gigging guitar so it'll get beat to ****.

So I put my gold OFR on it and I've decided to keep it black/yellow.

And the thought of doing all the work stripping/prepping/refinishing that went into the previous projects finally hit me and made me realize I don't want to do that again. :DB)

I'll still be stripping the neck and tung oiling it or something. :D