Pickup Opinions

jefm

I've been considering making some changes to my guitar

I was wanting to but a P-94 (P-90 in a humbuckers clothes) at the neck and a burstbucker 2 or maybe 3 or even a pro at the bridge...

Any ideas on how that would sound...anyone try these yet???

what does a single coil at the neck and a HB at the bridge sound like

It's for an epiphone G-400 with the stock Pups

played through a Crate gx30m

I like to play mostly rock and some blues rock...I haven't played much really heavy stuff but I might...

Yeah thats what attracted me to the burstbucker is the mismatched windings...they should sound great...I've heard different things about the P-94

Personally I'm not terribly worried about "authentic" P-90 sound but more a competent balsy single coil that sits well in the neck with a slightly hotter humbucker...(without getting out my router)

most of the reviews I've seen were with 2 p-94's...

I'm probably worrying too much...people do it with strats all the time...

If you want a single coil sound in a humbucker shape, you might want to look at DiMarzio's Humbucker From Hell. Don't let the name throw you. It's supposed to be one of the most single-coilish sounds for a full-size humbucker. I have one in the neck position and in addition to sounding crystalline when played clean, it sounds quite rich when distorted. I'm not saying that it sounds the same as a strat's single-coil but I get the clean and dirty bluesy sounds I was looking for with it. And it has the advantage of being humbucking.

Yeah...I went to dimarzio's site and listened to the sound clip

I think that would sound pretty nice too...I also looked at the bluesbucker...

Now I'm not sure if I was really looking for a single coil or just something to make the neck clearer when it's distorted...I'd like to keep the hum cancelling I wasn't relishing giving that up

thanks for the idea saber

does anyone have experience with the bluesbucker...it seems like it could be pretty versatile

and to saber...how does it sound on the low end

and to saber...how does it sound on the low end

It has a pretty flat frequency response except for the high and mid-high boost to give it single coil characteristics, but being a humbucker it gives a bit more lows than a typical single coil. I don't know how it compares to a P-90 or a P-94 because I've never had those. All I can say is that I got the clean bluesy tone I was looking for, and I was pleasantly surprised when it also sounded good with a lot of distortion. As you are surely aware of, it may sound different in different rigs so there is always a gamble in buying pickups. All you can do is assemble a collection of opinions to guide you.