Fret Buzz

I've got an Ibanez with FR trem and locking nut system. I seem to have a lot of fret buzz from frets 1-5. I already have two shims under the locking nut and wondered if anyone had any ideas to fix the problem. Should I simply shim it again? Would removing the tree help?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

I've got an Ibanez with FR trem and locking nut system. I seem to have a lot of fret buzz from frets 1-5. I already have two shims under the locking nut and wondered if anyone had any ideas to fix the problem. Should I simply shim it again? Would removing the tree help?

Thanks,

Steve

Altering the height of the nut will only effect buzz on the first fret. If fret 2 is buzzing, when you hold the string down in fret 1 position, then either raise the bridge or add some relief to the neck (assuming the frets are all level and the neck angle is correct)

Thanks,

Steve

Altering the height of the nut will only effect buzz on the first fret. If fret 2 is buzzing, when you hold the string down in fret 1 position, then either raise the bridge or add some relief to the neck (assuming the frets are all level and the neck angle is correct)

Yeah, that's the thing. I don't really know where to start to fix it...

AS bluesy said, adjusting the height of the nut will only help with the first fret. Get a straight edge and lay it along your frets to check your neck relief and go from there. It may need a fret dressing or a total refret but if your not sure maybe get a tech to look at it. Otherwise i know a good website with a tutorial about setups i think it is projectguitar.com .... or something like that.

Well I'm certainly no expert, but I would definitely check out the tutorials on project guitar's main page as chops1983 already stated. In particular, I'd take a look at this fret buzz locating tool--> http://schrammguitars.com/buzz.html (from the tutorials section), a good straight edge, a good magnifying glass, and maybe a set of feeler gauges, if you don't have all of these already. I find all of these indispensable when setting up guitars.

Best of luck!