Retrotron

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

I ended up HATING the way the neck looked. With the f/b unfinished and the neck amber, it wasn't working. I sanded it all off a few weeks ago. I'll probably end up just oiling it and calling it a day.

The rest is currently on hold waiting for the right bridge and tuners to come in. I placed the order last week, but they're both out of stock for a month or so.

• 2 months later...

With the Iceman and Super Thin essentially done, I can finally turn my attention to this thing.

Thanks to our local AllParts rep, I was able to get a good quality Dano bridge and some good tuners for this. The tuners are Grover Sta-Tites. I think they're actually for an acoustic, but I'm sure they'll be fine... especially since I got them for $10!!!

I made the new template for the Gretsch pups. I'm going to be using the EXACT same electronics. They're not even getting un-soldered except for the pups. I'll most likely finish the whole thing up next week. I'm stealing the chrome edging idea from Our Souls.

those grover sta-tite's are pretty nice - certainly look a bit like they belong on an acoustic, but they are nicely made and will work well either way... i actually think they are nicer than rotomatics... but then thats not really hard :D

wip45.jpg

wip46.jpg

wip47.jpg

Clearly there's a little left to do, but it's essentially done.

I like the new p/g shape a lot better than the old one. It seems less clunky.

I'm leaving the finish on the back untouched as an artistic choice. No grain filling, no leveling, no buffing... nothing. Just 4 coats of brushed on lacquer. I'm leaving it un-done because I'm wanting to channel the old tabletop/counter feel. I can't have raw wood, but I CAN leave it looking kinda raw.

• 2 months later...

I never cease to be amused at what some folks pick out of a picture. :D

Sorry, but I can't do any recordings. It really sounds killer though. The Northern ash body and maple neck give it a LOT of growl, punch, and definition. I'm sure the Gretsch mini-buckers are doing their part too