Please Help Me I Fix This.

I spilled some superglue on this headstock area and couldn't get it to come off so I sanded with Micro Mesh papers but it dulled the finish a bit.

How can I fix this up I know nothing about finishing.

Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

By the way that white chalky residue in the trussrod cavity is not superglue it's .... I have know idea what it is it has always been there.

Edited by aggravated_alien

I think it's fair to state that a clearer picture in focus would be a good point to start with.

Do that , then you'll get the help you need and more importantly the right method too. :D

cheers, Stu

Is that a new picture? It looks the same. Its too tough to see whats going on. If you have a fairly update camera you might have a macro option this will let you take up close pictures much more easily, just fyi. What happened anyways, trying to glue the nut on and spilt some CA. I hope you didn't get any CA on the truss rod threads, might make things miserable for you. Anyhow, best of luck.

If the CA is a drop or a line, then take a razor blade, turn a burr on it then wrap two pieces of masking tape over the blade edge leaving a small amount exposed in the centre. This works as a scraper, the masking tape giving enough clearance so the exposed blade will leave the CA very marginally proud of the headstock face.

+1 on the soap and water lubricated Micromesh. You'll have to scrape back the CA before you go cutting back the finish as all you'll succeed in doing is polishing up the CA, and creating a doughnut-shaped low point around the CA :-\

If you can post a better pic (in daylight, don't shoot so close to the instrument, steady the camera against something so it can take a sharper shot) then we'll do our best to help you get this problemette solved!

Is that a new picture? It looks the same. Its too tough to see whats going on. If you have a fairly update camera you might have a macro option this will let you take up close pictures much more easily, just fyi. What happened anyways, trying to glue the nut on and spilt some CA. I hope you didn't get any CA on the truss rod threads, might make things miserable for you. Anyhow, best of luck.

It's quite a long story be here goes.

The used to be paper thin rosewood veneer over the nut slot that went all the way across after removing the nut by collapsing it in on itself it took some of that rosewood veneer with it leaving a mahogany void underneath.

"No problem" I said I will just lay a bead of super glue across and level that before gluing the new nut. after Masking the around the nut slot I applied the super glue unfortunately seeped through on to the headstock area.

I tried first a bit of saliva on my finger but it did nothing. Next I tried nail polish remover no luck there. Next I tried using my exacto blade to scrap the glue off it worked but left the area a bit dull. After that I used Micromesh papers to bring it to were it is now. I think the superglue is gone but I have created a dull patch in the process it looks like a satin finish in that area.

I have updated the photos again I can't do better than this with such an old camera.

I hope this helps.

I think the superglue is gone but I have created a dull patch in the process it looks like a satin finish in that area.

What grid micro mesh are you using? If you have got all the super glue away I don't think that you will need to refinish anything just read up on the complete finishing process.

With a bit of product placement:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Finishing/...ers/i-1201.html

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Finishing/...ers/i-5561.html

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Finishing/...wetsanding.html

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Finishing/...ers/i-3161.html

And the "white chalky residue in the truss-rod cavity" is probably only buffing compound. Don't know what buffing compound is? Well, follow the links my friend :D