Locking Tuners With A Floyd

I've searched around the internet quite extensively and havn't really found any information on this. So I decided to register here looking for an answer. I'm a total newb at doing work on guitars and within the past 2 years have only done minor mods to the guitars I own. But, now I've caught the "mod" bug and want to get further into modifications and luthiering. Although I'm not comepletely familiar with all the types of guitars and parts out there I need some info that some of you might find amusing. My question is: I have an idea for a set-up but not sure if it will work, could I use locking tuners with a roller type nut and a floyd rose bridge with roller saddles? Will the guitar stay in tune when doing dive bombs and such? I know this is usually set for a locking nut. But I'm thinking with locking tuners I may be able to achieve the same result. But, considering the string is wound around the tuner post even with a locking tuner the string will tend to move out of tune when doing a dive bomb. At least this is what I'm thinking. The reason I want a roller nut and roller saddles is to help with sustain, and besides it would look killer. If anyone out there has had the same idea and tried it ...I'd like to know what your results were. If there are any variations that anyone has thought about I'd like to hear those too. Regards, and thanks in advance!

I've searched around the internet quite extensively and havn't really found any information on this. So I decided to register here looking for an answer. I'm a total newb at doing work on guitars and within the past 2 years have only done minor mods to the guitars I own. But, now I've caught the "mod" bug and want to get further into modifications and luthiering. Although I'm not comepletely familiar with all the types of guitars and parts out there I need some info that some of you might find amusing. My question is: I have an idea for a set-up but not sure if it will work, could I use locking tuners with a roller type nut and a floyd rose bridge with roller saddles? Will the guitar stay in tune when doing dive bombs and such? I know this is usually set for a locking nut. But I'm thinking with locking tuners I may be able to achieve the same result. But, considering the string is wound around the tuner post even with a locking tuner the string will tend to move out of tune when doing a dive bomb. At least this is what I'm thinking. The reason I want a roller nut and roller saddles is to help with sustain, and besides it would look killer. If anyone out there has had the same idea and tried it ...I'd like to know what your results were. If there are any variations that anyone has thought about I'd like to hear those too. Regards, and thanks in advance!

where are you going to find roller saddles for a floyd? a roller nut would work fine for staying in tune, but so would a nice slippery nut, like graphtech tusq or slipstone or graphite, etc. your idea has been done by some, and generally with good results.

where are you going to find roller saddles for a floyd? a roller nut would work fine for staying in tune, but so would a nice slippery nut, like graphtech tusq or slipstone or graphite, etc. your idea has been done by some, and generally with good results.

My bad on the roller saddles, I just assumed they were out there as I've seen roller saddle replacements for other types of bridges. The graphtech string savers look like a good alternative. I'm still set on a roller nut though. Also, searching around about this I learned something new I did'nt realize before about the Floyd. Stringing it without cutting the string ball off. Never thought about stringing it up in the opposite direction. Sorry as I said:"total newb"! They suggest using the ball as a stop in the tuner post, so this would totally help keep the string in tune with a locking tuner system I would think. Its good to know that others have tried this out before me though. And I appriciate the response. Seems I'll be keeping an eye on the posts here as I may learn quite a bit that I just could'nt on my own. Regards...

You might consider looking at my telecaster project...see the blue link in the signature...

Also...have you considered using punctuation and spaces...very hard to read your post!!!

So...my telecaster has a khaler but with the same range as a floyd. It uses shaller locking tuners and an LSR roller nut...

What you need to understand though...these things are not cheap nor necessarily easy...

On the squier tele, the neck is slightly narrower than a normal fender and the come in one size only. Also, you need to rout out the nut slot towards the bridge...this makes the modification irreversible...you got to have the tools and the confidence to make it work...and again, cost!

With a locking tuner, the strings don't wind around the post that much if used properly (not even once) and you also need to loose the string trees...

While it may look killer and works great...modifications and quite a bit of expense is required. You need quatlity locking tuners, not those cheap two hole wilkinsons that claim to be locking...and the choices of roller nuts are limited and wont fit every guitar...all will require accurate delicate work that can't be undone.

A good slippery nut though can work as well...

Welcome to PG...check out some of the threads and have a think about what kind of "project" you might want to do...but also what you are capable of...you got to work up to some of these things...even cutting a new nut is tricky, however you can do dive bombs and such with modifications on a standard strat copy if you set it up right and string with a locking technique from the start...

Remember a lot of ideas may look killer, but a lot of killer ideas have been fatal to a lot of guitars...beware!

pete

You might consider looking at my telecaster project...see the blue link in the signature...

Also...have you considered using punctuation and spaces...very hard to read your post!!!

So...my telecaster has a khaler but with the same range as a floyd. It uses shaller locking tuners and an LSR roller nut...

What you need to understand though...these things are not cheap nor necessarily easy...

On the squier tele, the neck is slightly narrower than a normal fender and the come in one size only. Also, you need to rout out the nut slot towards the bridge...this makes the modification irreversible...you got to have the tools and the confidence to make it work...and again, cost!

With a locking tuner, the strings don't wind around the post that much if used properly (not even once) and you also need to loose the string trees...

While it may look killer and works great...modifications and quite a bit of expense is required. You need quatlity locking tuners, not those cheap two hole wilkinsons that claim to be locking...and the choices of roller nuts are limited and wont fit every guitar...all will require accurate delicate work that can't be undone.

A good slippery nut though can work as well...

Welcome to PG...check out some of the threads and have a think about what kind of "project" you might want to do...but also what you are capable of...you got to work up to some of these things...even cutting a new nut is tricky, however you can do dive bombs and such with modifications on a standard strat copy if you set it up right and string with a locking technique from the start...

Remember a lot of ideas may look killer, but a lot of killer ideas have been fatal to a lot of guitars...beware!

pete

Pete,

The original idea here was to start a new neck from scratch and install on an ESP body..or even a new custom body. My main motivation for the question was to even see if it were done by someone else before or, if it could be done at all. As I said" I'm a total newbie at this". The roller nut that I was considering could be pre-routed on a new neck for proper fitment. And I'm pretty sure its a direct floyd locking nut replacement. The only thing that may have to be modified are the screw holes to a possible larger diameter. I'm glad you mentioned the string tree situation as that the ESP has a string retainer and I was wondering if I should remove it when installing the roller nut. The tuners I'm considering are Schaller Mini locking tuners...they are supposed to "drop right in" to an ESP. Direct fit! No Drilling required. I've learned in the past though that this isnt always true! lol But, thanks for the heads up and I'll be considering the expense here. I'm pretty sure to just modify the ESP neck its going to cost me around 60-70 dollars. If I were use this set-up on a new neck it runs upwards of 300+...So I'm more than likely going to just work the ESP neck and save the replacement neck for a later time. Regards....