Lmi Tru-oil Sealer?

avdekan

Hi

I was thinking of ordering tru-oil from LMI for a bass I'm going to build for a friend when I saw that they had a tru-oil sealer:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts....ader=Oil+Finish

Is it just really thick tru-oil for the first layer or is there some hidden mojo in there?

what's your experience with it?

thanks

Edited by avdekan

Search will bring you up a wealth of stories on Tru-oil from finished instruments to tutorials and discussions on application. I think it's wonderful stuff and can make otherwise normal or bland wood look pretty spanking gorgeous.

I tried searching but couldn't find anything about LMI's tru-oil sealer. I know that people use shellac and epoxy as grainfillers/sealers, or sand with the oil as lubricant to fill the pores. I just wondered what's that particular sealer all about?

I just wondered what's that particular sealer all about?

I asked LMI many years ago what the purpose of the sealer is and they could not give me an answer. Instead they gave me some phone number of some luthier I never heard of and said I should ask him. I never bothered calling him. I would hope these days they can give you a better answer than they did me.

Is it just really thick tru-oil for the first layer or is there some hidden mojo in there?

No, it is very different than Tru Oil, more like some kind of quick drying funky airplane glue smelling clear liquid.

I love Tru Oil, but their sealer / filler ... not so much. It sucks as a filler and as a sealer, if you need one, shellac would be a better choice.