Install Neck To Body Blank Question

Ok, I just bought a Strat style body and neck from eBay, neither have any pre-drilled holes.

My question is should I drill holes in the neck and body separately, put the neck on and drill right through the body and neck together, or just drive the screws right on through while they're together?

And, if having to drill, what sized bit to use?

Thanks a lot guys.

I don't know how other people do this, but I prefer to drill (yes, you have to drill) the body first, then clamping the neck in position. Then I use a drill with roughly the same diameter as the core of the screw, and just drill carefully into the neck. Take care not to drill through the fingerboard. Measure 8gazillion times, drill 4 (depending on how many bolts of course :D ). The drill for the holes in body should be larger than the screw so that the screw only threads in the neck.

I don't know how other people do this, but I prefer to drill (yes, you have to drill) the body first, then clamping the neck in position. Then I use a drill with roughly the same diameter as the core of the screw, and just drill carefully into the neck. Take care not to drill through the fingerboard. Measure 8gazillion times, drill 4 (depending on how many bolts of course :D ). The drill for the holes in body should be larger than the screw so that the screw only threads in the neck.

Awesome, thanks a lot man, I'll let everybody know how it goes when I get it done!

Anybody else, feel free to leave any comments and such.

Well, Bydge answered your question, so that leaves me a rowdy "Welcome to the forum!" Is your Strat body finished, or are you going to do a finish yourself? Keep us updated and have fun!

Thanks!

Well, I'll give you a little run down:

I have an actual Fender MIM pickguard assembly, SSH, white.

An unfinished right handed body, no neck or pickguard holes drilled, but the body is routed for SSH and a trem. bridge.

The neck is a satin lefty, no holes drilled. The fretboard is finished, no nut. Basically going for the reverse headstock look.

I have two roller string trees.

I was planning on getting a Graphtech nut, and I'm still unsure about a bridge or tuners...I'm still doing some research.

As for the finish, I have no idea yet...haha. My grandfather is like a master craftsman; if it has to do with wood, he knows. He makes picnic tables and the like, china cabinets, you name it! I'd like a satin finish of some sort, not totally sure yet. Still have to do more research. I'm leaning towards a blue sorta stain...

Any ideas or thoughts any of you guys have, feel free to drop a line.

This is my first time, hopefully a good experience...haha.

*BTW, the body is ash and the neck is maple.

Edited by ashleypower